New G5 or wait?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by purpledonkey, Oct 11, 2005.

1. purpledonkey

purpledonkey Guest

OK, Ive got a 1.25ghz G4 and I'd like to upgrade but I don't know if I should drop dough on a G5 now or wait for the next gen.

I have no clue about the specs or features of the next gen other than Intel based chips.

Anyone have info?

2. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

3. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

4. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Yes, but they won't be MacIntels. Most likely, the ones released tomorrow will have new housings with dual core processors to entice buyers into scooping up powerpc chip machines and then slip the intel chips into those units later down the road.

5. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I have a dual 2.3 G5 and it runs smooth as balls. There will always be a faster computer if you wait.

If you want one now, buy it now. If you can wait, wait.

6. purpledonkey

purpledonkey Guest

I imagine a dual 2.3 G5 would be an extremely noticeable difference over my 1.25G4.

I just want to know what I might be missing out on with the new ones.

7. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I have a 2.0 at home and 2.3 at work. I love them. A lot. But let's be real. The Macintel PMs are about a year out. Do you want to be stuck using an emulator after a year to run new aps? It's one thing if you are getting a $500 mini or even a $1200 iMac. But if you are going to drop $2500 on a computer, get one that you won't hate using after a year.

8. purpledonkey

purpledonkey Guest

What do you mean use an emulator?

You are talking about if I buy the G5 now, I'll end up using an emulator after a year to use apps?

That bites. So your suggestion is to wait?

9. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

I'm going to wait. I think June of 06 will be the soonest we will see the next generation.

I usually buy at the end of a generation but this time is different.

10. CyberLeader

CyberLeader Superior Cybernetic Race

If you need a new computer, get a new computer. its stupid to wait for the next thing, as there is ALWAYS a next big thing.

IMO, i would NOT wait for the intel boxes. its a year (or more) away, and the support will take a while to build, whereas PPC will be supported for many years after the change with universal binaries.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Waiting for technology is stupid, when it is beyong a matter of days or weeks. It sounds like your Mac is too slow, and you need a new one. If this is the case... then buy a new one. If you don't actually need a new one... then you can wait. But you might be waiting a while, whereas if you buy now then the clock would already be ticking on replacing what you buy in 2-3 years.

12. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

Unless you absolutely need a new PowerMac right now, I'd wait until the Intels come out. I've got a feeling they're going to be significantly more powerful than even the fastest G5 today.

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

OF COURSE they will be. Because they won't be out for another year. However, G5 Powermacs stand up JUST FINE against the top of the line Intel. Relying on Moore's law to get 'even more power!' while you sit there and waste time with a slow computer is stupid.

Or no... just think, if you wait for the P5 Intel Macs, you will have a SUPER FAST ELEET COMPUTER LIKE WHOAH! Just wait 3-4 years and you'll have a REALLY fast PC. Or NO! I KNOW! Wait for the P6 Intel Mac. THAT THING WILL BE A SUPERCOMPUTER! IT WILL RULE!

14. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Did you watch the Keynote a few months ago that touched on this issue? When a coder compiles the software (using Xcode or Rosetta I think) they just check a box on whether to write it for PPC or Intel or both! The compiler handles the rest for them.

So long as a developer codes the software using OSX's coding tools they will always have the option to easily write for both chipsets. It's when they use something else is where there might be hiccups. How those are handled I don't know. Hence why the Intel developer kits were released so they can get a head start on this. The PPC userbase is so large, and the shelf life of most of those computers are so long (compared to a PC) that a Mac purchased today will last as long as it normally would've in the Mac software relm.

15. What he said. It's stupid to wait for something that doesn't exist. If you need a computer, buy one.

16. purpledonkey

purpledonkey Guest

I think I am just going to buy some more ram for my system and that will hold me over for a bit.

Unless there is some nifty daughter board add on that I can bump my CPU speed, I'll stick with what I have though.