GUN New FPS fitting successful

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JaimeZX, Nov 9, 2007.

1. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

1) Ordered new oversized Firing Pin Stop from EGW guns

[​IMG]

Didn't want to f**k it up. Drew it in AutoCAD, created the recommended radius and then measured the size of the chamfer required for subsequent rounding-off. Numbers are in mm.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My setup. The light was actually brighter than it looks in this pic:

[​IMG]

Old & new side-by-side:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At first it wouldn't fit in the slide. I had to shave off 0.15mm to get it to slide in. This took nearly an hour of filing. :p

[​IMG]

Rounded off the edge as evenly as I could. Coarse file first, then finer file, then the two "grits" of stone from my knife-sharpening kit to complete the effect.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After this I cold-blued the shaved parts of the FPS and cleaned my gun. Also swapped out the FLGR for the original setup since I hadn't noticed any improvement in my accuracy.

Can't wait to get to the range and test it out!
    (Until then I put the factory FPS back in for carry purposes.)

:bigthumb:

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

3. JaimeZX

Where my 1911 peeps at? :squint:

4. Furner

Furner New Member

good call on ditching that FLGR

5. JaimeZX

The cold bluing looks better than I expected it to come out. :bigthumb:

Additionally, one of my coworkers got a job at Academy so you know what that means! Yep. Employee discount on ammo for the office. :wiggle:
    ('Course, that's only $1/box for .45ACP...) :o

6. JaimeZX

7. JaimeZX

Hm. I wonder how strong my mainspring is? Came in the Wilson Combat spring kit. I ought to look into that. Anyway. OK so I went to the range. The difference was less dramatic than I was expecting.

Each of these targets has 22 shots. (2 x 7-round mags and 1 x 8 round mag.) The targets themselves were very simple - scrap sheets of paper with a pink Post-It note in the middle. I taped down the side of the Post-It opposite the sticky side. And I drew a dot in the middle with a Sharpie.

[​IMG]

The only target I shot with the old FPS was the top left. About 7 yards, slow. Then I swapped it out with the new FPS and shot the top right target. Perhaps if the swap had taken less time I would've noticed more difference, but I had to go borrow a pen to push in the FP to get the FPS out, etc. So it probably took 5 minutes. I would've liked to have done it in 30 seconds so I could feel the difference better. Or have two identical guns side-by-side. But I digress. Anyway. I backed the targets off a little and kept shooting.

I ALWAYS seem to be low & to the right. Might be because I'm a lefty? :dunno:

I put up this target then to practice drawing from my holster. This was the only time I encountered a problem. Occasionally after drawing I could only fire 1 shot. I noticed the mag wasn't seated all the way in. This happened several times before I noticed that when reholstering if I pushed too hard then the gun would seat too low in the holster, and the mag release button would slide down under the Kydex. And get pushed. So. Note to myself... :p

Besides that I noticed that I got a couple of FTEs with one magazine shooting the Hydra-Shoks. (Weird one - new round partially in chamber but slide doesn't go to battery because the spent casing is still in the port holding it open.) No problems with the other mags. Have to remind myself not to carry that one. :sad2: Anyway. Never had a problem with that before, must be the new FPS slowing things down.

[​IMG]

All the shots in the X ring (CoM) and in the middle of the head were at 3 yards. The outliers were at 7 hards. In all shots I was trying to fire quickly and not "aim" too much.

8. JaimeZX

18.5 lb

9. JaimeZX

Yesh. Well I need to figure out what # mainspring is in the WC kit, first.

10. Furner

Furner New Member

#324 "G", Colt Govt. .45 ACP - RP 19 lb. hammer spring; XP firing pin spring; RP 10 and XP 18 1/2 lb. recoil springs.

thats off brownells website. is that the kit you have?

11. JaimeZX

No, I have the 316G set. Good call though, now I'm Googling it.

Edit: Every site parrots the WC site's description. Even the gal-dang packaging I still have in my closet for the set just says "heavy duty." :mad:

12. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Ok, I have looked over your targets and come up with some advice for you.

A) STOP SPENDING MONEY TO MODIFY A WORKING WEAPON.
    B) Take the money that you save, and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, because you suck.

For reference, here's 31 rounds (2 15 round mags and the one that was in the chamber) out of my glock 19, only mod being the 3.5lbs glock factory trigger bar at 15 yards. Shooting slow of course.(~ 1 round a second)

[​IMG]

This takes LOTS of practice, and quite frankly, there's no way I could do that right now because I haven't been shooting like I used to (~2500 rounds a month at peak). Also an interesting note, that gun is over 10K rounds since it's last cleaning, and it still runs flawlessly.

13. JaimeZX

:rofl: I know. It's ridiculous. I like to tinker.

A lot to be said for that. When my .22 conversion kit shows up I'll be able to shoot a LOT more.

[​IMG]

Very nice shooting, mang. :coold:

14. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Thanks, How does your grip look? Your shooting it rather erratic, so maybe it's a grip issue? Got pics?

15. JaimeZX

Certainly could be. No, I don't have pics. Maybe in a couple weeks when my wife comes to visit she can take some.

Also the local range has Tuesday evening competition shoots so I've been planning to & participate. Last time I was there (just leaving, out of ammo) those guys were just showing up and they had fancy race guns, etc. I'm sure they can give me lots of pointers. They invited me to stay but I had some stuff I had to take care of. :hs:

16. JaimeZX

So there we have it.

17. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

:werd: I haven't been to the range in over a month and I just replaced the entire trigger group in my 1911.

On that note, I'm off to the range.