New Firmware Available 12/10/08

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dres2k, Dec 11, 2008.

1. dres2k

dres2k OT Supporter

Check Apple.com out, there's new firmware out for notebooks...

I just downloaded 1.2 SMC update as well as EFI 1.6 for macbook pro, and there's updates for MB Air and another i believe....check it out though!

From The Unofficial Apple Weblog: (TUAW.com) :

Apple issues SMC and Firmware update for all unibody MacBooks
    by Cory Bohon on Dec 10th, 2008
    Today, Apple issued both SMC and Firmware updates for their entire line of unibody MacBook computers, and the MacBook Air. Read on to discover what was changed for each system, and how you can get the updates.

MacBook
    SMC Firmware Update 1.2 (Download Page)
    This update "improves the sensing and accuracy of the MagSafe Power Adapter indicator light, and the battery charge indicator lights on the MacBook (late 2008) model."

EFI Firmware Update 1.3 (Download Page)
    This update "fixes several issues to improve the stability of the MacBook (Late 2008) model."

MacBook Pro 15"
    SMC Firmware Update 1.2 (Download Page)
    This update "improves the sensing and accuracy of the MagSafe Power Adapter indicator light, and the battery charge indicator lights on the MacBook Pro (late 2008) model."

EFI Firmware Update 1.6 (Download Page)
    This update "fixes several issues to improve the stability of the MacBook Pro (Late 2008) model."

MacBook Air
    SMC Firmware Update 1.1 (Download Page)
    This update "improves the sensing and accuracy of the MagSafe Power Adapter indicator light, and the battery charge indicator lights on the MacBook Air (late 2008) model."

EFI Firmware Update 1.1 (Download Page)
    This update "fixes several issues to improve the stability of the MacBook Air (Late 2008) model."

To download these updates, you can either launch Software Update (Apple menu > Software Update), or download the appropriate installer packages from the Apple Support Download website. There are additional installation instructions that you will need to follow after the download completes.

Has this update improved your MacBook/Pro/Air's performance? After you install, come back here and let us know!

Update: As our commenters have pointed out, older MacBook and MacBook Pro models do not require these updates. Our apologies to everyone who has been frantically clicking Software Update.

2. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

:bowdown: finally

3. i bought my mac last week... do i need this update?

how do i get it?

4. dres2k

dres2k OT Supporter

If you got an aluminum case, then yeah, it'd be advisable to get.... So go to preferences folder, than software update...check it to see if it downloaded itself for you...mine didn't cuz i had it on weekly updates (daily now) and do what it says to do...

If you can't find the SMC update, on the software update program*(didn't show up for me), go to TUAW.com and scroll down a bit, and all the dload links are there. Or go to apple.com and look around.

You gotta dload it than restart your comp for both of the updates i did.

5. Nezart

Nezart OT Supporter

done and done

6. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Software Update only installs the EMI update as far as I know, the SMC one seems to be manual.

7. thanks!