MIL New Federal Report: Gulf War illness is real.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WildBull, Nov 17, 2008.

1. WildBull

WildBull Guest

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/11/17/gulf.war.illness.study/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- An extensive federal report released Monday concludes that roughly one in four of the 697,000 U.S. veterans of the 1990-91 Gulf War suffer from Gulf War illness.
    [​IMG]A U.S. soldier wears protection against chemical weapons during the Gulf War in a February 1991 photo.

[​IMG]

That illness is a condition now identified as the likely consequence of exposure to toxic chemicals, including pesticides and a drug administered to protect troops against nerve gas.
    The 452-page report states that "scientific evidence leaves no question that Gulf War illness is a real condition with real causes and serious consequences for affected veterans."
    The report, compiled by a panel of scientific experts and veterans serving on the congressionally mandated Research Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses, fails to identify any cure for the malady.
    It also notes that few veterans afflicted with Gulf War illness have recovered over time.
    The report, titled "Gulf War Illness and the Health of Gulf War Veterans," was officially presented Monday to Secretary of Veterans Affairs James Peak. Noting that overall funding for research into Gulf War illness has declined dramatically since 2001, it calls for a "renewed federal research commitment" to "identify effective treatments for Gulf War illness and address other priority Gulf War health issues." [​IMG] Watch CNN's Elizabeth Cohen report more on Gulf War illness »
    Health LibraryAccording to the report, Gulf War illness is a "complex of multiple concurrent symptoms" that "typically includes persistent memory and concentration problems, chronic headaches, widespread pain, gastrointestinal problems, and other chronic abnormalities."
    The illness is identified as the consequence of multiple "biological alterations" affecting the brain and nervous system.
    While it is sometimes difficult to issue a specific diagnosis of the disease, it is, according to the report, no longer difficult to identify a cause.
    The report identifies two Gulf War "neurotoxic" exposures that "are causally associated with Gulf War illness." The first is the ingestion of pyridostigmine bromide (PB) pills, given to protect troops from effects of nerve agents. The second is exposure to dangerous pesticides used during the conflict.
    [​IMG]

The report does not rule out other possible contributors to Gulf War illness -- including low-level exposure to nerve agents and close proximity to oil well fires -- though it fails to establish any clear link.
    The report concludes there is no clear linkage between the illness and a veteran's exposure to factors such as depleted uranium or an anthrax vaccine administered at the time.

Cliffs: 1 in 4 Veterans of the Gulf war have the illness, caused by toxins on the ground and vaccines given to troops.

2. god that sucks

3. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

i know a GW vet who was in the army and came out as a e5.

whenever i look into his eyes i see an empty void that cant be filled. doesnt talk much and minds his own business.

4. WildBull

WildBull Guest

[y]ZgRCRC5rEUU[/y]

Didn't really have time to watch it but I figure I would just post it anyway

5. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny I Doubt It

How does this make those of you in the military currently feel?

6. WildBull

WildBull Guest

I refused the anthrax vaccine.

Shit like this makes me feel like I have no control over my life, or what the government decides to put into me.

7. Julius

Julius Guest

I don't fucking trust those appointed over me. This kind of shit just reinforces it.

8. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

What happened when you refused? Does everyone have the right to refuse?

9. Yeah I'd like to know about how you can get away with refusing those vaccines.

10. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Why refuse anthrax, isn't it better than steroids? makes you super strong and stuff.
    :dunno:

:squint:

11. WildBull

WildBull Guest

you can get out of it by having a "rash" on your body. I was fortunate enough to have like heat rashes and stuff from being out in the Mojave desert :o
    I also didn't get the small pox vaccine b/c of the rash.

refusal I think you can get kicked out of the military, but at the time no one was going to prosecute you.... EVEN in the military. It had just went from optional to mandatory.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2008
  12. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

i hope all that shit isnt still left over floating around in the fucking sand storms :noes:

13. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

We did, too. They tried to tell us we wouldn't LEAVE Iraq without getting it.:bowrofl: Okay, leave me here forever, but I'm not getting the fucking shot.

14. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

fucking pussies. :greddy:

15. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

can't replace your spleen

16. Pusan

Pusan New Member

I think ive restarted my anthrax cylce like 6 times and never finished all the injections. As a reservist I go to 2000000 commands to deploy and every one starts me on 2 of the 6 or so and never finish.

17. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I lost count of how many I got. oh well.

18. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

It's impossible to get away with out doing anthrax now, trust me I track my Soldiers weekly on medpros.

Anyways, maybe this shit is still going on here? All I know is that I will be working on something and all of a sudden i will just forget what i am doing. My short term memory is like gone at times.

19. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

14 years in service and have never started the anthrax vaccine. I have started the Hep cycle 8 times though. :hs:

20. AltimaNX

AltimaNX New Member

DoD breeds anthrax vaccine in my body:) I get my regular boosters and twice a week I donate my blood plasma to be used to make more vaccines. 100 dollars a donation, plus every 6th donation is a 250 bonus. If there is anyone in the Ft Detrick area/Frederick, MD that wants in pm me and I'll get you the info.

21. WildBull

WildBull Guest

Have any kids?

22. Julius

Julius Guest

:rofl:

23. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

what for? Just another expense.

24. WildBull

WildBull Guest

I was just wondering since you were getting pumped with all that stuff if it had any issues with fertility.

25. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I'm not the one getting pumped with that shit for 250 or whatever.