New External not being read, and how to clone HD?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mad doc, Dec 13, 2006.

1. mad doc

mad doc New Member

I just finished placing my new Hitatchi travelstar 7k80 into a macally external 2.5" case. I plugged it in, windows went through the recognition process for the device, and yet it is not showing up in my computer (the new hard drive).

Do I need to activate something, format it? etc?

The whole reason for the HD in the case is so that I can clone everything on my 30GB HD onto the 80GB and install it into my laptop.

Which is the next question, what programs should/can I use to clone?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Right click on My Computer and go to Manage, then click on Disk Management.

You should see the drive there. You'll need to format it and assign it a drive letter if it doesn't already have one.

As for cloning the drive, Ghost seems to be pretty popular. If you bought a retail drive, it will usually come with software to help you copy everything over.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

If you're just cloning the drive, there's no need to partition/format it. I recommend Acronis True Image for cloning. You can get a 15 day free trial at www.acronis.com. It saved my ass when Ghost wouldn't.

4. mad doc

mad doc New Member

Ok, So all I will need to do is open up True Image and clone my current laptop HD onto the new HD? Also, which True Image? Workstation or Home ? I downloaded home.

Then it will just be a matter of uninstalling the old HD and installing the new cloned HD into the laptop?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  5. mad doc

mad doc New Member

Do I need to Initalize the disk? or is that the same thing as partitioning/formatting?

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

The Home True Image Home will work just fine. Yeah, once the disk has been cloned, you should shut down and install the new drive inside your laptop. It should boot up fine.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  7. mad doc

mad doc New Member

Ok, so I have the 80GB HD in a USB external drive connected to my laptop. I go to clone my 30GB in my laptop, it tells me I have to reboot, I do, and then it comes to the blue screen, says Acronis True Image, Analyzes a drive, then says:

ERROR: Disk not found

???????

Windows doesn't have the drive labelled as a D or whatever. Do I need to change something in my Boot up?

8. mad doc

mad doc New Member

Found out that Acronis TI, well you need to purchase it in order to clone... :(

9. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Not when I used the demo to clone a disk a couple of months ago.

10. mad doc

mad doc New Member

Weird. Well I went on their forums and thats what it came to. I couldnt see any other reason why it wont see my HD.

Edit: found out that I could get TI7 for free, got that from Acronis, cloned and now I'm good to go !

HD only shows up as 65GB though... WTH?!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006