New exhaust = less bass

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by stonedworm, Jan 3, 2003.

1. stonedworm

stonedworm mofo in a supra

Ever since i had teh new exhaust put on i notice there seems to be alot less bass while the engine is running. I think the bass is still there, but due to the note of the exhaust there is alot of cancelation? When the car is off the system sounds identical to how it did before.

2. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

Maybe you should try applying some sound damping material to your trunk area. This will help insulate your trunk more .... I don't think the problem is bass cancellation necessarily, it just seems more like the exhaust is making noise which is interfering with the music.

And btw, dynamat is overpriced. Go to www.b-quiet.com , their stuff is much better for the money IMO.

3. 04

04 Guest

The thing is, you are right, it is probably the exhaust interfering with the music, but it probably is causing cancellation. If he had a SPL meter, he could verify the loudness, it could very well be the placebo effect however. At any rate, the exhaust is interfearing with the music, and should be fixed.

4. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

I could be way off here, 042801, but I thought that for a frequency to be cancelled, that the exact inverse frequency has to be played at the exact same time (and with equal loudness)? I'm just not sure how the bass could really be "cancelled" in this case because the bass notes in a song are changing in their frequency a lot more than an exhaust pipe.

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

to get complete cacilation it would ahve to be palyed liek taht but you can still get partial caceltaion

6. 04

04 Guest

Nope, you can get cancellation with something only a few degrees out of phase. And it can be less loud too, and still have an attenuating affect. To get a complete cancellation, however, you are right, you have to play the exact inverse frequency, but this never happens. Take for example when you play a woofer free air with say a 40hz tone. Technically it should yield no output at all, but you still get a little output.

7. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

Another vote for sound deadening material. There's another vendor that just came onto the market and has been getting good reviews over on another board I visit. $50 for a 50 sq-ft roll of it, and it's on par with any of the other asphalt-bitumen based products.

www.secondskinaudio.com -- product is called Second Skin Damplifier and the guy's name (selling it) is Anthony. Tell him I sent you, pls. :big grin:

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i jsut got some stuff form lowes its asphalt with sticky a sticky sides identical to dynamat it dosent smell and works fairly well
    i think it was 30 buuck for a100 feet

9. stonedworm

stonedworm mofo in a supra

How well did it work? What about on hot summer days.. does it start to stink?

10. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

These idjits at Lowes around here had no idea what I was asking for when I tried to find that stuff. What is the name brand?

11. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i ahvent tried it it sht summe being its winter now but it didnt realy smell when i used th heat gun to set it

i dont rember it havinga brand name its called self adhesive underlayment

it goes unnder shingles i think

12. airkevin23

airkevin23 Yes, but no sprinkles! For every sprinkle I find,

peel and seal