A&P New(er) camera rig / motion shots

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by XtremeSaturn, Sep 28, 2004.

1. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

A different kind of VUE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Moose

Moose New Member

i'm diggin 'em man :cool:

3. eight5wot

eight5wot New Member

you mind posting how you did that? are there some ways to make your own camera rig? just curious

4. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

just experiment. I had to figure it out, so can you :)

5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I'd love to see a shot of your camera rig. I assume that you used PS to paint out the parts of the rig that would be in the shot?

6. aloe

aloe OT Supporter

im interested in how you did everything also :)

7. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

pics of non-PS'ed pics?

8. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

What fun would posting my non PS'd pics be...you can see parts of the rig. I'll hold off on posting them for awhile. I gotta start earning some $$ somehow and this is part of it. Don't mean to sound like a dick but I'm sure some of you will understand.

Here's a couple from tonight. I can't wait to try the rig out on a tuner car for a magazine that I'm going to start to freelance for

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. sony

sony Active Member

Thats what everyone says. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Its not hard to figure out how to do this.. you have to extend the camera out from the car pretty far. A wide lens with little distortion will help a lot since you'll have to project the camera out a shorter distance.

Clamps (super clamps are nice, make sure they accept studs), telescoping poles or light weight solid poles, safety rope (fishing line would work if you want to save some trouble), some towels in case the rig will rub on the car, suction cups w/ studs (or not if you wanna ghetto rig it), tape, etc.

The hardest part will be putting everything together. It may take 30-60 minutes just to get everything the way you want it, but after that all you have to do is set it on a timer and push.

Done.

10. sony

sony Active Member

[​IMG]

Heres an example of a pretty simple way to rig it up. This will get you quarter-half car shots. You'll have to use your imagination to get full car or higher up shots. :)

The easiest shots you'll be able to get are side/quarter and front full low angle shots. Just have the mount on the hood and have it come down at the angle of the hood with the camera hanging off. Its really limited, but at that position the resulting pole will also be very easy to photoshop out.

good luck ;)

11. sony

sony Active Member

Heres a store to get some supplies for your rigging adventures:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/2blacwhitgre.html

I recomment gaffer's tape which is as strong as duct tape without leaving adhesives behind.

You'll want to go to this section:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/tabmangripeq.html

Pick up suction cups if you can, its a LOT easier to get everything how you want it. You can always just resort to a lot of clamping and hooks and stuff. Look around there, they'll have almost everything you need to rig up a decent set-up. You'll definitely want to do some DIY stuff to get the camera further from the car and to basically save a lot of money.

Some photographers will use clamps on the underbody (whereever you can) and hooks by the windows and set something up like that. This is a lot cheaper than the expensive suction cups, but if you look at the picture above you really only NEED one. The more you can get, the more stable... thats all.

12. sony

sony Active Member

[​IMG]
    + gaffer's or duct tape + pole + clamp w/ stud + ballhead + camera + safety line = win

thats the cheapest i can think of. Make sure you use lots of tape and secure the line very well so it doesn't shake a lot. You'll want to pus the car with a long shutter.

13. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

that rig is bad ass. Gotta look into that later down the road but for now my $30 rig will do. Thats the same suction cup I have. It's for pulling dents on body panels....$10 for all three.

14. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I'm use to using heavy rigging for car shots because the film/video cameras we use weight up to 20lbs. Speed rails, clamps and tie downs connected to suction cups and/or door frames is the norm. I wanted to see Extreme's cheap rig because I would like to make a similar rig for my still camera. I'm not trying to go into competition with you but I can understand your relunctance. It's cool.

I've got some killer video of a lipstick cam mounted on a microphone "fishpole"
    which is attached to a Shelby Cobra. I'll see if I can get my editor to post a clip on our website for a while.

15. sony

sony Active Member

The problem with the cheap route is you're limited to only one or two angles for full car, and only a couple angles for half/quarter. You can get a lot higher up with the grip equipment you're currently using. You should just borrow it. ;)

16. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Ha! I wish I could borrow the heavy rigging. We have to rent it from a production rental company. They get $30 a day for a speedrail hood mount and $45 a day for a "hostess tray" rig. We do own the lipstick camera and fishpole but this gear is too lightweight for my still camera.

17. aznkid

aznkid www.aznkid.com

the question is..

can you do it on a car that's not an SUV?

18. aznkid

aznkid www.aznkid.com

how bout a car that's been lowered a few inches?

19. sony

sony Active Member

Taking the picture isn't the problem, its setting up the rig. If you're going to do a lower car with a low angle, it isn't too hard since you're probably hanging the rig off from the hood. Just move the camera up a little, it isn't too copmlicated. Of course with different applications, you'll always run into problems, but if you use versatile parts you can change up your rig for different situations fairly easily.

20. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

I mounted the rig to the hood so it wouldn't matter weither it's a SUV or a lowered "tuner" car. In fact the shots might come out better because the car isn't as big and I can get more background in the shot.

I'll probably just end up posting the rig shots for the hell of it. It's a very ghetto design but seems to work for me.

21. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

btw azinkid...you're on iphotoforum.com right? I'm midnightvue over there.

22. aznkid

aznkid www.aznkid.com

that's not true..i would have a much easier time setting up on an SUV because of the flex..

23. aznkid

aznkid www.aznkid.com

yeah i know who you are ;) i saw the garage pics posted

24. sony

sony Active Member

Uh ok. If you don't want to share then go away. :greddy:

Maybe your rig is easier to set up on higher cars :rofl: but the one that I specficially discussed should be the same for every vehicle. The problem with you is that you're so close minded all you're thinking about is YOUR rig. If you don't want to tell everyone how you're doing YOUR rig, then don't discuss things like MY rig is wrong, because theoretically and in many applications it will work exactly as I described. On any car. Thanks.

25. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

A little hard to tell but here's my setup...
    [​IMG]

I have my monopod zip tied to the 1x3" board (doesn't move at all) which then slides into the handles of the suction cup. When it's slid into the suction cup handles, it prevents it from loosing suction because the handles can't open.