New England Journal Of Medicine article on diets.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by killerZees, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killerZees

killerZees OT Supporter

Low fat calorie restricted VS low card unrestricted cal VS Mediterranean Diet. Low carb one won in mean weight loss, and in mean weight loss of those who stuck on it for two years, and for cholesterol rates dropping.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/359/3/229[/FONT]

2. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

And if they ate any diet but just consumed fewer calories a day than they used, they all would have lost substantially more than 5kg's over 2 years. Besides, the subjects on the low carb diet consumed only 20g a day for 2 months. Of course they would have lost the most weight at first. Fats and proteins make you more satiated, you feel fuller longer and you eat less. When they bumped it back up to 120g a day, they gained more weight, probably because the carbs may not have been the lowest on the GI/GL scale and they felt hungry soon after.

As for the HDL levels, if you look at the study, the difference between the low carb and higher fat diet is nothing really. Triglycerides are similar, but you also get a substantially lower drop in LDL cholesterol with the high fat diet. Plus, there was a limit on 35% of daily calories coming from fat. Looking at the diets of people in that area, I'd suspect that they consume more than 35% fat in their diet.

The mediterannean group also scored the best overall in measures of fasting plasma glucose and related measures (insulin resistance).

If you read their conculsion, I'd say that low carb didn't win out.

3. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

We had one of the nutrition researchers here at UC come in and grudgingly present the results of her 2 studies she did on low carb diets.... that at least in the 6 month time frame they work WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY better than low calorie/low fat diets. She was also quick to say "BUT BUT LONG TERM IT MAY BE WORSE WE JUST NEED TO STUDY THAT TOO, LOW FAT IS BETTER"

4. Daria

Daria New Member

Who really would dedicate to a low carb diet for the rest of their life? What kind of life would that be? Not too enjoyable. It's much easier and fulfilling to be able to eat a variety of foods with a restricted calorie range.

5. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

Its amazing how your palette changes on a long term low carb diet.

6. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

What do you mean?

7. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

Foods seem sweeter. ( almonds, bread, meat )

8. Centipedes? In My Vagina

Centipedes? In My Vagina It's more common than you think

I would rather eat meat, bacon, eggs, sausage, nuts and then cupcakes and corn.

9. Juan Valdez

Juan Valdez Finest Cofee in the world

I am pretty sure I will be able to stick to a low to moderate carb diet for the next long while. Occasionally I miss bread but overall I don't miss them, and I haven't had any low energy side effects despite taking in ~40 grams/day

10. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

Anyone ever have good results leaning down on getting around 150g per day?

11. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

yes, four pop tarts per day

12. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

I love me some Poptarts. Low in fat with good amount of carbs.

:rofl:

13. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

almost any long term low carb plan will have refeed days

14. NUDES

NUDES New Member

you'd be surprised. IMO anybody who is significantly overweight let alone obese needs to be on low carb diets, it will GREATLY help with satiety, energy levels, etc.

And the kicker is you should likely be low carb forever. Because once you are significantly fat, you have fucked yourself up permanently. Your body will rarely handle carbs the way a normal functioning person handles carbs.

15. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

I've found that since being fat, and having a history of diabetes in my family, I can't eat a normal carb meal without having huge insulin spikes. As a result, it's very easy for me to gain mass but it doesn't come without fat on a normal clean gaining diet.

I've been experimenting lately with only eating significant amounts of carbs before training and directly after. Every other meal with the exception of breakfast (carbs from whey) I'm substituting healthy fats for carbs at a reasonable ratio.

Only been implementing this the last two weeks or so but it's already making a significant impact on fat loss, and my energy is still fine, or even improved.

16. killerZees

killerZees OT Supporter

I have been on a low carb diet for 6 months or so, with no issues. I eat veggie carbs, and milk carbs, but no grain carbs, no alcohol, etc.

17. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

What's "significant" and "obese"? If the person doesn't lift weights and is in the upper end of overweight or obese range of the BMI scale?

18. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Something around there sure. Even if they lift weights. Yes you can help your case by eating low gi, or eating carbs after lifting, whatever.. but at the end of the day, th anecdotal reports of former fat people eating hefty amounts of carbs even with lifting and cardio and doing well is pretty low. if you got fat to begin with your genetics are probably not the best around at processing carbohydrates.

19. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

Yes, I leaned down 2 years ago on moderate carbs. Came only from sweet potatoes, brown rice, rice cakes and the occasional wheat bread. I'm also in the process of doing a less strict version of the diet again w/ decent results thus far

20. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I have.

I've tried going as low as sub-50g and didn't like it. Last two times I've leaned down (including my current cut) were with my "low carb days" consisting of anywhere from 140-160g. As long as cals are in check and carb/fat are from good sources it never gives me a problem. Granted, I usually only go as low as 10/11%.

This time around I am looking for sub 10% so that might require going lower in carbs, but I doubt it.

21. killerZees

killerZees OT Supporter

according to fitday I eat between 20 - 40 grams of carbs daily. All from egg whites, dairy and vegetables.

22. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

do you cycle at all? or just straight ketosis the whole time? :eek3:

23. killerZees

killerZees OT Supporter

Straight ketosis, I mean I will occasionally have a cheat meal. But mostly just straight on. I have lost like 40 pounds, and my body fat went from > 30 to 19. Started November 15th. I even use those strips to test my urine every morning.

24. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

What was your starting weight? How was BF measured?

25. killerZees

killerZees OT Supporter

Starting weight was 220 ish hard to tell cause it fluctuated and i didn't weigh myself the first week. My body fat is tested by some shmuck at the gym, and one of them scales with a bf thing on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.