WEB New E-Commerce Site

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by asugrl, Jan 31, 2009.

1. asugrl

asugrl New Member

This is my friends company's website. What do you guys think of it?

Brand Makers

There is over a 1,000 products on there at the moment, but they are still working on getting more products on the site. Some sections like the apparel, food&drink or whatever do not have any products...they will soon though.

Well, what you think :big grin:

2. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

i think we need to see your tits

3. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

What a typical OT response.

4. SocialBrokerz

SocialBrokerz New Member

there is a huge difference between this thread and cojones thread about his blog.

this thread is pure advertisement. just my opinion

5. asugrl

asugrl New Member

No I seriously want to know what you guys think. They are looking at feedback.

6. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

Actually, I am looking at feedback. I am the designer of the site.

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Navigation looks messed up in FireFox on Windows. IE is even worse.

Right side of the navigation covers up "Testimonials".

Way too many testimonials on the front page. Definitely not necessary. There are just as many testimonials on the testimonials page.

A ton of alignment issues across the entire site--a few pixels here, a few there. The phone number image can be shifted down a pixel.

The site some broken links. Right on the front page even.

I think elements like these are poor designs for call outs and/or headers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The site seems really memory intensive. It's actually lagging my browser. It also takes a while to load.

The red on blue categories on the left is really sharp on the eye.

The site in general seems really messy. By that, I mean unorganized.

Tons of items in the navigation. I'm sure a lot more time could have been spent on the sitemap to organize the content better.

Professional web firms still link back to their site in the footer?

Site was designed for 1024x768 users, but there isn't a hint of copy about the store above the fold. Usability issue.

Not that validation matters much, but validation does reflect good markup, and the site doesn't validate.

That check mark really needs to go.

The engine seems really powerful/functional however.

Not sure what CMS is being used, but I think the site, being product rich, could have benefited more using a more powerful taxonomy system. I think that may be why the site seems kind of messy to me.

Overall, it's not that bad of a site. But I do think it could it could have been a lot better.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  8. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

and seriously, i want to see your tits

9. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

A lot of compatibility issues I will look into, unfortunately (as you probably know) some clients want to dictates the overall look and feel of the site as well as the functionality. Categories, Call Out Headers and images, Logo Design, Testimonials, etc.

Now as for stuff we can change: where were you finding broken links? (there are a few on the front page that just do not have product). Thanks for your help, I will be moving that number down slightly. I will look into validation and proper markup. I will see if we can not do some optimization with the load times and lastly see if we cant fix some of your alignment issues.

Overall, thanks for the input. I do appreciate it. I needed another developers opinion as well as spot things that I have overlooked.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  10. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

who the fuck are you

11. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

compatibility issues should have been handled BEFORE the site was launched. it looks like somebody used a CMS and hacked some shit together, the visual elements have nothing in common with each (read, links are all different, colors are all different, some shit is underlined, some isn't), there are issues with visual alignment across all browsers. typography is fucked, some shit has leading, some doesn't, some fonts are big, some aren't. you have different font sizes acorss the site. the accordion is fucked, why is it opening a href when i just want to see the menu. colors are pissing me off. javascripts could be bundled. inline styles could be move to css. and so on and so forth.

basically, i come to the site and dont know wtf it's about.

12. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

and wtf is this shit
    Looks Like $10 but Under $5

Looks Like $20 but Under $10

Looks Like $30 but Under $15

Looks Like $40 but Under $20

that's just stupid. if i'm coming to buy something, the last thing you should do is confuse me. i want to find shit under 5$, keep it simple.

that's like labeling the "login" button something ghey like "engage warpdrive"

13. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

They hired you to design the site. You can tell them what is best for their site and your reasoning why. Most clients are open minded. Especially when they're paying money to hire you.

The intro copy has a "read more" button and links to this page: http://www.brandmakers.com/guarentee.html

:werd:

14. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

They hired us and we do give them our input and ideas, however it comes down to them wanting it or not...but I do understand what you are saying.

15. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Some clients are very stubborn. :dunno:

16. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

Yea it can be a pain in the ass, but I understand the stuff you are harping on about development...I got on my developer for the things you guys mentioned, so we are going to try to streamline our development process. I am the design and project manager and of course there are plenty of things I can improve on. I like to look back on each project and figure out what went wrong and what went right.

This was our first ground up e-commerce website, so of course there are going to be issues and huddles to overcome. Criticism like this can only better improve our site design as well as our development. Kingtoad, do you mind giving me a few of your websites you have created and coded please.

17. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

:bowdown:

18. Deviance

Deviance Can't you smell that smell? OT Supporter

I think they have way too many levels of categories. I had to click 5 times to see a product.. Do they really need that many levels/categories/sub categories? That shit pissed me off and I wasnt even really wanting to buy something. If I had money in my hand, in 1 click i would have been on amazon.

19. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Improvements will always occur. I've got many to undergo myself. But through each project I better knowledge and arm myself.

I typically do not share my work with OT due to the nature of OT. But based off your posts and posts in your past I think I could make an exception due to maturity level being a bit higher than the norm of OT. Contact me on AIM: kingtoad.

20. Major Tom

Major Tom OT Supporter

I really don't like it. It makes my browser lag horribly, and while I've not got the best laptop in the world, I can't think of any other sites that I have issues with. The mouse overs down the left of the page are especially bad, taking 2-3 seconds to highlight.

It seems quite cluttered with no real "theme" to it. The colour scheme seems to be all over the place, and I dislike the main header/logo massively.

The list of links near the bottom needs to be implemented differently, I think. It just seems to be tagged on at the bottom, with no real thought.

The red telephone number at the top looks very ugly. The 20-minute quote below it looks even worse, especially in contrast to the red lettering.

I like the slideshow in the center of the page. It's not particularly unique, but it looks good eitherway.

[​IMG]
    This graphic seems... just pointless, out of place. I really don't think the red/blue thing works, and you should probably settle on one or the other (or perhaps lower the hue to make it more subtle).

Not trying to be a dick :dunno: It's not completely horrible by any means, but a few small things will improve it dramatically.

21. Phasm

Phasm OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

But seriously, I don't think theres enough clutter /sarcasm

22. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

I don't think you are being a dick at all. You have brought up many points I have given to the client personally, however as stated above somethings the clients "just wants" no matter how unpleasant I tell them it is going to be for the end user.

If it was up to me it would be far different. I find it interesting that the one thing you find "clean" is the only thing that we added in that the client did not want. Something to at least spice up the rest of the boring cluttered front page.

Much like a movie, in the end it comes down to the person or person's (aka company) fronting the money. When you are a small team of web developers who are growing a businesses, sometimes you have to do things you don't want to in order to put food on the table and a roof over your head...especially in these economic climate.

The hope is in the end we will be able to ramp up and do larger clients (like we have done in the past) that actually allow us to be developers and designers...understanding that for the most part we know web marketing and the "do's and don'ts" of web design much more then they do.

23. Major Tom

Major Tom OT Supporter

Hey, I know entirely where you're coming from. Sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and do whatever they ask, even if it does look like ass - especially if you're short on clients. The main thing is that you acknowledge that these things aren't great, and hopefully in future you won't have to endure clients that are so stubborn.

24. Ebtek

Ebtek Afraid of 138

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (pozcumlubedberry 9000: Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13057/558; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

Are you really sure you want to see the tits of a girl that's even remotely connected to anything to do with IT?

:hsd:

25. hank85

hank85 sudo shred /dev/sda -f -v -z --iterations=6

Site design is ok, but I don't think it will induce a customer to buy. It looks way too clustered, I can see why some things are done the way they are, seo purposes and whatnot. But you guys can increase conversions with a bit of research.