A&P New DSLR user needs tips and gear...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by verbal, Jun 15, 2006.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

That deal Dell had yesterday on the 350d was just too hard to pass up. I'm excited. :wiggle: Though I'm calling Dell today to see if I can get the deal on the black instead of silver. If not, oh well. I saved $300.

Anyway, since this will be my first time using a DSLR, I have some questions.

1. What are the best tips you have for a beginner? What are some habits that I should start getting used to from the beginning? What mode do you shoot in on a regular basis-- full manual? Semi manual (aperture only? shutter only?, etc)? Do you ever use full auto?

2. I'm not trying to spend too much money on this in the beginning. One thing I definately need is a bag. Something that will hold and protect the camera, kit lens, hold a few accessories, and maybe have room for one or two other lens. Any recommendations?

3. I really like fisheye pics. Any recommendations for a decent quality and priced fisheye lens?

4. I read about filters a lot. Are they recommended for a beginner or should I get used to the camera first? If they're recommended for me, any specific recommendations?

Any other tips are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

2. verbal

verbal Active Member

I called Dell and the black version is back ordered 3-5 weeks. Ugh. I don't want to wait that long so I guess I'll keep the silver.

3. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

1) read the manual and various websites. if you don't have any photography background, all the of the terminology will be new to you, such as aperture, depth of field, underexposure, overexposure, white balance, etc etc. making it more difficult to get the most out of your camera. I haven't used full auto or program mode in ~ 10 months. I basically use three modes - aperture priority, shutter priority, manual.

2) The Canon backpack is $40 from Amazon and does the job, if you're on a budget. I use it now and it's pretty decent for the price. It holds: 20D w/ battery grip and 16-35 f/2.8L, 10D, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 420EX flash, 50 f/1.8 II and has some space for misc stuff. I also carry various batteries, filters, and other junk in all the comparments.

4) get a basic UV filter, I'd suggest Tiffen for low end lenses, B+W for more expensive lenses.

4. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

1. Learn good form when you hold your dSLR and press the shutter (you can look this up online). I mostly stick to aperature priority because I like to shoot portraits, landscapes and cityscapes mostly. I used shutter priorty mode once during rainy weather to ensure sharp pictures and used full manual once to shoot moon (a must so that you don't get a blob of light).

2. List of things you want to carry sounds like what I currently carry. I use Domke F3x, great thing about this bag is, it really wraps around you (it's made of canvas). Other should bags tend to bounce off of your body as you walk. FYI - dust may enter this bag as it creases and folds to wrap around your body (but it's so comfortable, that's a shortcoming I'm willing to overlook).

3. No experience here

4. Get a CPL for landscape shots. An UV filter optional to protect your lenses.

5. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

beach camera has the black rebel xt (350d) for a dollar more than the dell one after you add tax and shipping to dell its like 642 for silver, and black is 643 at beach... im gonna order one from beach right now :)

6. verbal

verbal Active Member

Anymore?