A&P New DSLR :hs:

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by drake, Jan 31, 2007.

1. drake

drake OT Supporter

Just came home with a D40 and pointing it around my room with white walls noticed there is a huge piece of dirt sitting just below center on the sensor. Is there any way to clean this on my own or do I need it professionally done :hs: It doesn't show up in pictures, but it's extremely distracting when looking through the viewfinder.

Also, there is something rattling inside the body. Sounds like a loose aperture or spring, but the noise is there when I take the lens off as well. I thought it was the battery compartment, but there are no springs there to make that kind of noise.

Should I just take it back and ask for a a brand new one? I just want to get to shooting :sadwavey:

2. e r y k

e r y k New Member

the noise you are hearing is most likely the brackets that pop the flash up wiggling around.

as for the dust, it can be easily blown off with a rocket blower or something along those lines.

just dont use compressed air.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

you can't see dust on the sensor when looking through the viewfinder. Its on either the lens or the mirror or the focusing screen.

the rattlign could also by the gyro that tells whether its horizontal or vertical

4. drake

drake OT Supporter

Is the focusing screen on the "top" of the inside of the camera just below the viewfinder? If so, that is where the speck is. It's not on the mirror either. If it were on the lense I would have just wiped it off.

So I'll just have to live with the noise then if it's not affecting anything.

5. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

sounds like a piece of dust on the mirror.

6. hsubaru

hsubaru New Member

Yes, take off the lens, angle the camera up, and you'll see the focusing screen. Take a rocket blower to it, and it should come right off. if not, you'll have to dig deeper. (sensor swab?)

7. drake

drake OT Supporter

Have you had luck with this? A lot of people seem to complain about this adding more dust.

8. hsubaru

hsubaru New Member

Point the camera down while rocketing it. I've not had to take a sensor swab to my camera before, and my sensor is dust free (knock on wood)

9. drake

drake OT Supporter

:cool: ordered one last night

10. Joetabasco

Joetabasco The Wing King

the rattle you hear is the sensor for horizontal or vertical shots so the pictures orient themselves properly in the camera LCD or the computer later ( with nikon software)

11. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

the lense and camera come seperate in the package, maybe you got a piece of dirt on the mirror :dunno:

i have a d40 and love it and you will too!

12. drake

drake OT Supporter

:cool: thanks. I was worried since I had a similar noise on a Powershot and it was due to the aperture moving around, which I knew couldn't be the same problem with this.

I'm already more than happy with the few indoor shots I've taken compared to my previous cameras :) Can't wait to get a good day to shoot this weekend or after work.

13. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

My D80 also makes a light rattling noise, and I'm pretty sure it's just the flash.

14. Blair

Blair New Member

the rattle you hear is normally the orientation sensor moving about.

15. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

shooting RAW images really helps with extreme detail...