New deadlift PR yesterday + a question for those with long arms.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by hootpie, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hootpie

hootpie New Member

My legs were (and still are) painfully sore from doing legs on Tuesday, but I managed to pull a new PR.

135x12
    225x6
    295x4
    355x1 (old PR was 350)

It's been roughly 10 months since my 350 PR, which would make this new PR pathetic, but I took ~7 months off, and have only been back in the gym for 3 months now, 2 of which I was cutting.

I want to get to 400 by the end of the year now that I'm bulking, but 380 is probably more realistic...thoughts?

Does anyone else here have long arms and finds it difficult to pull with proper form? I'm 6'3" and my wingspan is ~6'6" and I noticed that if I keep my hips low at the beginning of the pull, my hands practically touch the ground (torso is at a ~30 degree angle).

In order to counteract this I would have to arch my upper back to around 45 degrees, but then I'm so off balance that it's embarrassing. As a result, I seem to stiff-leg most of my DL's and I know I'm limiting myself by not using my legs more. Any advice?

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Sounds like a flexibility issue... people with long arms are usually better pullers

3. gtpjim

gtpjim New Member

long arms = better deadlift

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

when I max the bar actually travels away from my shins a little and I'm leaning over too much, not quite sitting back enough... Say last week when I tried to do 355 for 5 and only got 4... that's about when I start to lean too much forward, my lower back curves, and the bar doesn't slide up my body....

Yesterday when i did 315 for 5 though, I was sitting back and using proper form... if I had gone for 6 I would have had crappy form on that last rep.

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

maybe if you're short and have long arms, but if you're tall doesn't it actually make it harder to DL?

think about it this way... if you're real short, the bar starts at the center of your shin, between the ankle and knee. If you're real tall, the bar is proportionally much lower along your shins at the starting point, which means you're pulling with a farther ROM.

I'm probably wrong here since you guys are the ones with the experience... just a nagging question I have when people say tall = better puller.

6. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

he means long arms proportional to your height I think not just long period

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

that's what i assumed... in case you haven't noticed i'm anally specific a lot of times though :o

8. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Yes, that's what I meant.

9. Fireman68w

Fireman68w Banned

Same here. Every time I do a 3 rm my hips go a little higher up. If my lower back starts to curve I always drop the weight.

10. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

fuck that i just keep pulling... it sucks because it's risky but there's no point in quitting unless your body gives out... that mentality is the same reason that I never really go too heavy though. :mamoru: lately i've been breaking that rule though and I've felt the consequences for it. One of my knees is fucked up... it hurts to walk in fact, so luckily I'm going away for a week and can't hit the gym anyway, hopefully it's 100% for squatting once I get back.

11. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

then you've never pulled really heavy...

I'm 5'11" with a wingspan around 6'4" iirc...it means I can start with my hips higher and still be able to grab the bar which translates to a bigger pull...

:werd:

12. macro

macro New Member

agree flexibility may be a big part of the issue, sumo might be a good option as well (though flexibility will likely still need work to do that properly)

13. hootpie

hootpie New Member

My feet are about shoulder width apart.

14. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

sumo also depends on how you are built...some people can pull sumo really well and some cant...

15. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

My fucked up lower back from a pull with a rounded lower back thinks there is a point to dropping the bar once your form goes to shit. Keep pulling like that and I'm sure you'll have the same problem.

16. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

didn't I just say i got injured from doing it, and that's why I don't do it often at all?

17. disblohs

You said you have a fucked up knee. I fail to see how a rounding of the lower back during a max pull can cause a knee issue, but I've been wrong before.

18. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

my point is that I've gotten injured from going heavy with shitty form and I recognize it, that's all.

thanks for the advice, i have been acting stupid when it comes to DLs lately just trying to break records... I don't wanna break my back in the process though :o

19. disblohs

Yeah, I was the same way. Now doing bent over rows, barbell shrugs, squats, cable rows, 90 degree back extensions, or just about anything where the bar is in front of me aggravates it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.