new computer wont boot without having CMOS cleared

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tk, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

:) so i built a new computer for my moms office, specs go as follows:

PC Chips m916-13a-ar mobo
    p4 2.8ghz chip
    ati radeon 9000 pro
    and two elixir memory sticks totalling a little over a gig.

anyway...

at first boot, i wasnt getting anything on the screen and no startup beeps. so i got on here and someone said to clear the cmos. so i did, and it worked. i entered the time, date, and all the other bios settings were the same so i left them as is, then continued on. installed windows, restarted... nothing.

so i cleared it again, and just continued on (without inputing any time / date) and installed everything (windows, drivers, software).

now, the computer wont start without having the cmos cleared. it doesnt give any beeps at all either, just sits there, black screen, until you shut it off and clear it.

anyone know why this is?!?! HELP ME!!!!!!

Thanks,
    Tk

2. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Maybe the bios is detecting a setting incorrectly? Dig around in the bios and see if you can find something that it's detecting out of spec. Other than that I'd say it's time to RMA that motherboard. I'd also stay away from pc chips in the future. They're cheap boards but you get what you pay for.

3. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

so just try flashing the bios then, is that what your trying to tell me?

4. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Do you have the jumper setting correct? Usually a CMOS reset has 3 pins, if Pins 1&2 reset then try either leaving the jumper on Pin 2&3 OR removing it completely.

Some new motherboards need their jumper to be moved because the come from the factory in reset mode - supposedly to save battery life (those things last for years anyways).

5. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

hmmmm... ok... well as far as i know (and as the instruction manual says) pins 1 & 2 do reset, and 2&3 are for running normal. it came on 2&3. ill try leaving it out completely. :dunno:

6. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

The first few times I built a computer I had the problemm where nothing would appear at all--even clearing the CMOS wouldn't work. Well I ended up having to send the mobo back, because static electricity was getting to it :sad2: So just make sure you didn't build it standing on carpet or anything like that. But I doubt thhis is your prob since it does sometimes boot, just thought I'd share.