New computer wont boot up

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Oct 27, 2006.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

OKay...

Just inherited a 3.0E P4 HT computer. Pretty much I just took my old hard drives, cd drives and tried to boot it up...but it puts me in a never ending circle of...

There was a malfucntion do ou want to start windows normally, in safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc. No matter which one i choose it circles back tothe first boot up screen and comes back to a malfunction.

I tried going into the Bios and changing the boot up order to my HDD first but still will not work.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :bowdown: :bowdown: :x:

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

You took your old HDD from your old system and put it in this new one.
    What did you do with the HDD(s) that was in this new system?
    Was your old system a pre-built (Dell, HP, so on)?
    Have you tried booting with the XP CD and using the recovery console?

I have seen cases where when you swap the mobo (which is basically what you are doing when you just move the HDD to a new system), you will have to reinstall the OS. So take that old HDD back to the old system and make your backups.

3. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

ya it was actually an old HP machine...I took that hard drive and gave it to the person who gave me the computer. Then pretty much ya i put in the new hard drives and was hoping for a alacazam it worked...but knew it most likkely would not come to this :(

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

OS's need to be installed on a particular HD that is particular to a machine. You can't just take one HD, with an OS on it, and drop it into different machine and expect it to work. You will have to reformat the HD and reinstall the OS. This will wipe out all your data on the HD so don't do it unless you ok with this happening.

5. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

well...ya i only have the OS loaded on my one HD and then everything else on the other...I guess i will just end up doing this if it will not work :( I hate having to reinstall all these programs and updates again :wtc: Thx guys