New computer suggestions???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by manchild, Sep 26, 2005.

1. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Well, i'd really like a PC to use. i'll be using it for internet, aim, word processing, and some games (CS, nothing too graphicly demanding).

I'm litterly at ground zero. i've got no idea what i should get etc etc.
    I've been looking at mostly AMD processors, i'd like a socket 939 (thats the fastest/best, correct?), AMD athalon 3000 or higher. 754 will be fine, as long as its fairly fast and cheap.
    I had this awsome eMachines that i was going to buy, only 400 bucks for AMD athalon 64 bit socker 939 3200+ 2.0 GHz, 512MB of ram, 160 gig HD, dvd rw etc etc, and a buncha other featureas. But, tiger direct ran out, and i cant find them anywhere else.

I've got like 450-500 to spend on the tower. Dont even worry about monitor, keyboard or mouse. I've been looking into building one, but it seems like it'll be a ton more. For instance, to rebuild that eMachines it woulda been somewhere arround 600+, not includeing the mouse and keyboard that came with it.

Thanks, and any sugestions would help, even if u can only recomend certain RAM or a certain HD.

ebay i can do, but i'd rather buy from a store for the warrenty and support.

And, i can do pre-built, or put it together. if i cant figure how to put it together, i've got a ton of friends that know how. I was also looking at barebones kits and adding a HD and DVD-RW drive.

Thanks a ton
    Peter

2. tony

tony Guest

3. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

thanks, i was looking at that on tigerdirect, they have it for like 350 or something.
    But, It can only hold a max of 2 gigs of ram, which would cost me a fortune. I was looking for somthing with 4 expansion slots, so i can put in a gig of dual 512 (much cheaper)
    But, thanks for the sugestion, and i might look into it in a bit, if i dont have any other good ideas.

4. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

bump?

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

The 2 gig max doesn't mean you have to put 2 gigs in. You can put in 2x512 if you like and that'll be fine.