new computer, sound not working?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Light Speed, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Light Speed

Light Speed Guest

got a brand new core2 duo gateway from best buy.

everytime i turn the computer on for first time in the day, the sound just doesnt work (when it turns on it it needs sonic focus drivers, same when clicking volume) then it says it has a bad directsound driver

i need to turn off the computer and turn it back on, then the sound works. but it is getting annoying. what sound i do? (also this is the 2nd computer of the same model, the first one had the same problem so its not an isolated computer problem)

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Are you saying that you wind up installing sonic focus drivers each time you turn the computer on?

3. Light Speed

Light Speed Guest

no i ghet a window saying that. so then i shut it off then turn it back on and it, for some reason, has sound.

i dont install anything, i dont know why i must do this (turn comp off and on) for it to detect the drivers.

4. Doc Brown

Do you have a driver disc?

If not, do you know if you have onboard sound, or if it's a soundcard?

I'm thinking if you delete the driver, and reinstall it that it might fix the problem.

5. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

2nd one, same model? Sounds like a bad disc image from the factory.

Like Emmet said, focus on the drivers. right click My Computer, properties, hardware, device manager. Look for any warning signs X, !, etc. If you see any, the device isn't working properly. Right click on the device with the warning and click properties. It will give you further information.

If you don't see any warnings, click on the + square that says Sound, xxx, xxx. Look for an audio device, right click, Uninstall. At the top of the window, you will have a Scan for hardware changes button. Click that it should detect the sound card again. If you have a disc, direct the installation to the correct drive. If you don't have a disc, let the internet find the driver. Not the best way, but it will work most of the time.

6. Light Speed

Light Speed Guest

ive done this and there is no driver or anything with a "!" next to it

remember, my sound DOES work after i turn off and turn on my computer

but why doesnt it detect the drivers the first time? im not understanding this

7. Light Speed

Light Speed Guest

thats what im thinking too

ill try this later, i just dont want to screw anything up

i mean when you buy a new computer you expect it to come fully functioning (especially since this is the 2nd computer of the same model, wtf do they all come like this, should be recalled or something)

8. Doc Brown

There's no danger of hurting anything by deleting a driver and reinstalling it.

As long as you have the correct driver, it should only take one try.

And just so you know, if you have to find the driver online, it will most likely be a zip file.

You want to unzip it before you start the uninstall, reinstall.

The simplest way is to unzip the file. Delete the driver, then reboot and let
    windows do the driver install automatically from your unzipped file.

9. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

you might have better luck finding the right driver on Gateway's website with your serial number, but I did find this...

Application and Driver Recovery Using Gateway System Recovery Windows XP

Application and Driver Recovery launches the Application Recovery Program, which can be used to reinstall applications and drivers. To start the Application Recovery Program, use the following steps:
    1. From the Start menu, point to All Programs, System Recovery, and then click Application and Driver Recovery. Note: If Application and Driver Recovery is not listed, from the Start menu, click Run. In the Run dialog box, type: C:\Windows\Sminst\install_app.exe, and then click OK.
    2. In the Application Recovery Program select the appropriate option.
      View Picture