New computer running slow

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Movendi, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Movendi

Movendi Techno-süchtige

Last month i got myself a new pc and now it's running very slow despite my best efforts of making it clutter free and updated with Spybot and Adware along with windows update. I notice this with general web browsing and application use. Everything was running fast and smoothed when i first installed applications but now it takes about 5+ seconds to load up firefox.

Specs:
    Intel C2D E4300 stock
    Gigabyte 965 ds3
    Crucial ballistix 2gb 5400
    Radeon x1950pro
    Windows XP SP2

I've had the same applications for system startup and all the additional applications i've installed aren't on auto-startup. Those autostart apps are:

Outpost
    Kaspersky anti-virus
    Netlimiter
    Avafind
    MSN messenger

I'm stumped for any ideas. I mean i'm net savvy and cautiously protect myself with adblock and noscript yet somehow i experience this lagging effect for general web browsing. What other areas have overlooked?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You have too much protection on that machine. Kaspersky and AdAware are enough. You don't need SpyBot too, and you ESPECIALLY don't need the Teatimer that comes with Spybot.

Also, five seconds to load Firefox isn't that long. The fastest a computer will ever be is when you first turn it on -- after that, it slows down a bit no matter what you do. However, running Disk Cleanup and Defragmenter on a regular basis will help.

3. Movendi

Movendi Techno-süchtige

The only protection that's always on is kaspersky and outpost firewall. I only run all those other anti spyware programs once a week for a system scan.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Outpost is a firewall? Windows XP already has a firewall.

You say you're net-savvy and you protect yourself; you don't need all of these lines of defense. The Windows XP firewall (plus the firewall in your home network router) will keep out intruders, and Kaspersky will grab anything bad that you download willingly. If running Spybot once a week makes you feel good, go ahead and do it, but you don't need anything more than the Windows firewall and a good virus scanner.

5. project15

project15 New Member

I have nothing to prove or disprove that the fastest it will ever process is right then, but if you're trying to open firefox while the PC is also trying to load a bunch of start-up apps, firefox is going to load very slowly.