new computer randomly boots

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by duff, Apr 1, 2005.

1. duff

duff what's the score here?

I built it a couple months back and I love it except for one thing: it will turn itself on at random. Today I shut it down and the fans didn't even stop spinning before it booted up again. I shut it down again and it took about a minute before firing up. this doesn't always happen, but it's bad enough that I really need to switch the power supply off in order to ensure it doesn't come on.

It doesn't reboot by itself randomly or anything else noticably weird. The power supply was in a different computer before this one in the same outlet and everything so I'm thinking that's not the lone culprit.

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

2. I'd had an issue similar to this in the past, and it was a bad mobo ... treated roughly in shipping, microfractured, couldn't SEE the damage, but the circuits were faulty.

3. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

i had a similar problem in which my computer would restart itself. it wouldnt turn on by itself, but it restarted itself. i fixed that by going into the services menu and turning off the things that said "if fail, restart machine". i dont think that helps you though

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

There are a number of triggers that your mobo can use to turn on - I would first check those out (in the BIOS)

5. duff

I did check out the bios to make sure none of the network/mouse/etc triggers were set. I should probably double check though.

6. duff

that's not encouraging.
    Did the board have any other issues/symptoms? Mine's behaving fine otherwise (as far as I can tell).