New computer problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mrburner, Mar 2, 2004.

1. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

god damn, i just typed this entire thing up and my login expired so it all erased

i'll try to make this one shorter since that took forever

some of you have read about my various computer problems that i've had recently that are all very strange and nobody seems to be able to solve...well a couple days ago, i was able to get everything resolved...i also installed the new version of aim and deadaim which were slower than the older version, but nothing too bad...rebooted a few times since then and today

so today i get my new usb 2.0 external soundcard and install it...everything is working well...audio works great, sounds great etc...tried rebooting the computer a few times w/ the new card plugged in and it worked just fine

so i go to workout, get back, talk to my gf for a few minutes on aim and then go to take a shower...when i come back from the shower, my outlook window was frozen while in the middle of checking new messages (i have it check every minute) at like 67% or something...so i can still move my mouse so i try to minimize this outlook window and the entire thing freezes...no blue screen or anything, just everything is frozen...can't move the mouse, can't ctrl+alt+del...i let it sit for like 5 minutes just to see if it will catch up with itself

so after about 5 minutes i hit the reset button and the computer starts booting up...once it gets to the windows xp screen with the blue progress bar, it freezes...well not freezes exactly, but the progress bar just keeps going and going...so i let that sit for a little bit and nothing happens so i reboot again and the same thing happens...so this time i do a full power down and let it sit for a minute then boot it up and the same thing happens...i tried booting with and without my new usb sound card plugged in btw...so now i try to boot up in safe mode but while loading all the generic drivers for safe mode, it freezes...the last driver on the screen (not necessarily the one it froze on) is titled something like agpxxx.dll or .ocm (can't remember which and replace the x's with numbers...could have been either 3 or 4 numbers)

so i put the windows cd in and boot up but it still stops on that screen

at this point i'm already late to work (i work IT at my school)...so when i got to work, i talked to our hardware technician who suggested i start taking out pci cards one by one but he was thinking it could be my video card because "geforce cards suck"...so when i get home i'll start taking out pci cards one by one and if that doesn't work, i'll try to get ahold of a graphics card from a friend since i don't have an on board card...if that also doesn't work i have at least eliminated the possibility of it being hardware related (i'll also play around with the bios)...so i'll then try the recovery console

any other suggestions? my computer is 100% virus free and 100% spyware/adware free...it was running perfectly...earlier today i cleaned out the dust from the case with one of those cans of air but that was probably 5 hours before this incident happened

it is a pentium 4 2.4ghz, 1 gig of ram, gforce 4 64mb, master = 80gig, slave = 200 gig...dvd drive as the cd master and burner as the cd slave

any other info needed, let me know...any possible suggestions are very much appreciated...thanks

2. MP

MP New Member

hmm, well i'de lean towards a software problem right off the bat. But if you have done clean installs and have fresh installs of all your apps then I dunno how it could be that.

it is a fresh install right?

Other then that it could be really bad memory? Correct me if i'm wrong but too many bad bits on a memory stick (non ecc) can screw up a lot of shit. I don't know if it will actually write anything bad to the HD but it could return a ton of errors possibly causing some of the errors.

3. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

fresh installs of what? the last time i formatted my machine was a couple months ago and i have had a few random problems that nobody had ever heard of (found out it was Look2Me adware (i would call it a virus for all the shit it cleared up when i finally was able to get rid of it))...

if it was bad memory, it would probably be found during initial boot when the bios tests the memory and processor...the only time i've dealt with bad memory is on my (then) brand new mac laptop (they sent it to me with a stick of bad memory) and i was getting massive kernel panic errors

i don't see how a stick of memory could go bad just from the computer sitting there as it always does...but then again i don't see how software or hardware could go wrong just sitting there

4. MP

MP New Member

wipe out your HD and do a fresh install of XP.

it's the easyest solution. Chances are that look2me thing infected to many important system files. Memory goes bad over time, just as any other piece of hardware.

5. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

sorry but don't ever work IT

there are much easier solutions than backing up 130gb worth of stuff and formatting which still might not be a solution if this is a hardware problem

look2me is off my machine now and it was considered part of the vx2.dll adware...now that it is off my machine (for the past few days) it has been running better than ever...it wouldn't make any sense that 3 days later this suddenly happens...which is the same reasons why i am pretty much not stressing over aim or my new sound card being the cause of this problem

formatting is never the easiest solution...any consultant knows that formatting is the LAST thing that you want to tell the client to do...there are almost always fixes to things...as a consultant, i had never told a single person to format and i was able to get hundreds, possibly even thousands of machines fixed without formatting

that is the ultra last resort...it would probably take me 2 full days in order to reliably back everything up, format, reinstall all the programs i had, organize everything the way i had, and put all my backed up files back on my computer...i defenitely do not have that much time on my hands and probably will not have 2 empty days until this summer...and i defenitely will be needing my computer before then...so that is totally a last resort

6. MP

MP New Member

2 days you say to backup/format/reinstall you say?

and how long have you had all these computer problems?

:o

i do find it funny you, the one with computer problems telling me, the one without computer problems to not work IT. You are not a client btw, yes I know a fresh install is the last resort. But it sure is hell is a lot better then spending months w/ random problems that could lead to bigger problems in the future. Is it really hard to run ghost one night before you go to bed? It takes like 5 minutes to set it up and would be done well before you wake up...

out of my hands though. do what you want "IT guy"

:wavey:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2004
  7. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i'm looking for help...if all you are going to do is be an ass, please leave my thread

the first suggestion you made of something that i should do to fix the problem is format...that should be the absolute last suggestion...there are many things to do before deciding whether or not to format

and yes, its hilarious, but us IT guys do get problems too...just as i'm a car guy and us car guys generally run into more problems than people that just drive it from point a to point b...

i tell you not to work IT because the only piece of advice out of your mouth was bad...so if you don't have any other solutions, please don't feel the need to respond or get the last word in...everyone can ask for help...knowledgeable people can give help...i give help all day long but there are always things that are out of my area of expertise...i hold the highest position for students in the department and have the highest pay...i really don't feel the need to argue with you about this so as stated above, give help or leave

thanks...i wasn't trying to come across as a dick in the first post, btw...but we always joke around here about telling people to format over the smallest issues...i know everyone that works here and we have never ever had to tell a person to format their machine...

thanks for trying to help but if you don't have any other suggestions, i'd rather not clutter this thread up with more bickering

8. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

btw, i got home and everything works...didin't have to do anything

so i have no idea what the problem was