New computer parts...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IceMurder, Oct 18, 2003.

1. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

Im thinking about getting a stick of 512mb Crucial pc2700 ram and another hard drive soon for my computer, and i was wondering if i have to do anything special to set either thing up, or just plug them up. Thanks.

2. 6Double5321

6Double5321 Into the blue again, after the money's gone

Nothing special for the memory; just make sure you have it lined up correctly (it only fits one way). For the hard drive, make sure the jumper on the original is set to master, and the new drive is set to slave. Other than that, it's pretty straightforward.

3. MP

MP New Member

if you have different speeds or a speed that your mobo doesn't like i've seen some not want to work right. As long as your mobo supports the ram, and preferrably it's the same as what you already have installed you shouldn't have any problems.

4. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

Yea the ram is the same, i have a 256 stick of it right now. Also, how much difference would the new 512 stick make? The HD i have now is a 40gb Western Digital 5400rpm i think...Should i get another Western Digital or another brand? Im thinking of a MAXTOR 60GB 7200RPM which is 68.00 on newegg before shipping. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2003
  5. MP

MP New Member

a noticable difference. I like to compare the 256mb > 512mb jump to a MSD ignition. Everything gets better. All your apps will speed up. Dling/Upling typically increases. Surfing the web is usually faster. Just everything is faster. Since you'll be going from 256 > 768mb you'll definitly notice a diff, especially if you game.