New computer not booting...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Half-Pint, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Half-Pint

Half-Pint will you give in to me?

So I built my first computer. But, when I try turn it on nothing happens, other than the fans twitching (one fan in the PSU is going, nothing else). I googled, and it sounds like the motherboard might be touching the case. But I've checked, and can find nothing wrong. I re-did all the wiring, double and triple checked it all... still nothing. I don't get it.

I built it on a table and kept touching the kitchen tap to ground myself, but I guess there's a possibility that I messed it up with static... :( Any idea how I can fix this? There is a computer shop in town, but it's a bit dodgy imo..

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Try taking it out of the case and see if it works that way. and make sure that all the wires in the ATX motherboard cable are all securely in, and that the cable is secure on the motherboard.

3. DarthKoRn

DarthKoRn New Member

Take out everything but the motherboard and video card (if it dosent have onboard video). Try clearning the BIOS. Are you getting anything from the POST?

4. Half-Pint

I'm getting absolutely nothing. Nothing on the screen. The only thing which goes is the small fan in the back of the PSU, the rest just seems to shut down.

I called a guy who works with computers and he says it's probably a wire not connected properly. I dunno. My mum says she'll take it in to the shop tomorrow so I guess i'll find out what's up then. If not, I'll try what you said

Cheers

5. NPH

NPH Guest

Before reseating everything. Make sure you got the power supply on the correct voltage.

On my old computer, the PSU was set to the other setting (european ? ) and all I would get were fans. After flipping the switch, enough juice was going in to power everything on.

6. Half-Pint

In the manual it says something like 'Switch to correct voltage (US Only)'. I'm in the UK, and I can't see any kind of switch anywhere. The sticker on the back says 195-240V, which is correct for here I think..

7. teo

teo . => ? => !

The switch is usually a small black or red slider, near the plug itself on the power supply. If it's set to 240 and you're in Europe then you should be good to go as far as that's concerned. Make sure the PS cables to the mobo are seated correctly - that can be a bit of a bitch - there's usually a little clip on the side that will click into place. Don't put too much pressure on the mobo when you're putting it in though, or you'll crack it.

Did you use the non-conductive washers and riser screws when attaching the mobo to the case?

8. Half-Pint

I only got the brass(?) standoffs and screws with the case, I didn't have a choice. I assumed it would be fine

9. Blue Leaves

Blue Leaves Active Member

you should have at least 9 screws attaching the motherboard to the case. make sure all of those are screwed in or else the mobo isnt grounded properly.

if you have a p4 make sure the p4 plug is connected

10. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

huh? the motherboard isn't suppose to be grounded. what is what the black wires on the power supply are for. I have ran many computers without even being in the case.

11. Diggumz

Diggumz Devin da dude

Lol the idea is not to make the motherboard ground, but you're on the right track

12. Blue Leaves

Blue Leaves Active Member

:p