New computer(help on what I need/should get)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DSAzeppelin, Aug 31, 2004.

1. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

Hey guys, I am shipping off to college @ the end of October, and with my school loans, I can buy a new computer that is for school.

I am going to Fullsail to learn computer animation, so I was wanting to get a computer that can easily run and handle animation programs like Maya, 3dstudio max and Lightwave(preferrably Maya, since that will be what I'm using).

I have a friend that can build computers, so I was thinking maybe I should just buy the parts individually and have him build me it, saving me some money.

But my question is:

What do I need that would run Maya(and Brothers in Arms :o ) and other programs like that really well. I heard that there are special vid cards, just for animating and whatnot, but I now nothing about them.

What type of motherboard would be the best...how much ram...etc.

I dont know a whole lot about computers, so all your help is appreciated...

thanks guys :hs: :wavey:

2. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

just wondering if anyone can help me :hs:

3. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Just get the latest upper-end Intel processor, >512MB of RAM, and a high-end graphics card (256MB). You'll be fine. Since you're new to this, just check out what Dell has to offer. You'll get a quality build, plus highly rated customer service.

4. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

The minimum system requirements for Maya are not that great so pretty much any new machine will run it comfortably.

Pentium II or higher, AMD Athlon, Macintosh G4

512 MB RAM
    OpenGL graphics card
    450 MB of hard disk (Does not include your work which may huge!)

But them are minumums the recommendations I have heard lately is a Dell Precision 670 (Note its not a standard Dimension). Suggestions GET AS MUCH RAM AS YOU CAN AFFORD!! Also get the FASTEST DRIVE SYSTEM YOU CAN AFFORD!! The video is not nearly as important as many people thing, MAYA will run with 32 megs of ram, 128 is plenty, 256 is great but only if you have enough ram and drive speed to handle it...

Raid 0 for drives if you want, any other type of raid usually slows down the type of work MAYA does. Though Raid 1 may be worth it if you do not want to do backups and your work is important to you. MAYA is hard on drives, so if its important to you find some type of redundant/backup (STAY AWAY from Raid 3, 4 or 5. writes are two slow)

5. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Also, a MAC is not a bad idea. But same goes for memory and drive speed, as much as you can afford.

6. Brian

Brian New Member

imac g5

7. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

Thanks guys....my head was starting to hurt over this, was kind of lost.

Thanks for your help :wavey:

And I'm taking out a student loan and will be buying a computer with part of that loan, so I can afford it(untill I have to pay it off lol)