New Computer (Graphics Card)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Armenius2410, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Armenius2410

Armenius2410 New Member

I arrived home today to a fried computer, so unfortunately I had to purchase a new desktop. It came with an Nvidia 6150LE already installed. My old computer (yes old, and needed to be updated anyway) ran an Nvidia FX 5200 (?).

Can anyone tell me what the difference between the two would be? If any? Really hoping to not have to buy a new card so soon :ugh:.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

the 5200 supports ShaderModel 1.1
    the 6 series supports ShaderModel 3.0

the 6150LE would kick the crap out of any FX card

the 5200 is a good back up card

3. Armenius2410

Armenius2410 New Member

Well, that certainly makes me happy. I'd figured it'd work linearly with the 5 and 6 and 7, etc.

Now I'm having a random restart issue though =/. Just bought the computer less than 2 hours ago. Hoping this isn't reoccuring.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That was an insane turnaround time, dude. You're supposed to wait a year after your old computer dies before you marry a new one.

...um, rather...uh...

If you had the money to drop on a whole new computer without a second thought, maybe you should patch up your old one and donate it to charity to burn off some of that gluttonous-consumerist-pig karma that came with your new machine.

5. Armenius2410

Armenius2410 New Member

Having dealt with patching up and repairing before, I was ready to pay the difference for a new PC. The old one was getting a little, well, old :p.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I still use an old Gateway Solo laptop from 1998 for checking my email away from home and for pulling engine data from my Volkswagen. Don't give me that line about "it's easier to replace than to repair". Fixing things is satisfying work, and it costs a hell of a lot less.