New computer crashing durring games

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hathegkla, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

So I just got a new computer and its crashing durring games. runs great, excelent frame rates, no heat problems (and I'm not over clocking). I'll be playing anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour and the game will freeze up, makes some funny noises (audio) and ether locks up so I have to restart or restarts itself. I have up to date bios, chipset etc. I even ran a driver cleaner and re installed the latest Nvidia drivers and it still happens (on both UT3 and Hellgate London). no artifacts when I play but the screen gets sorta messed up and I see funny colored pixels over the screen when i get the error.

here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz

ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-2GBHK

XION Supernova XON-600F14R-201 ATX12V 600W power supply

I've heard people have trouble with the default voltage from their mobo with the G.Skill ram I have so I even tried manually setting the ram voltage to the recommended level (2.3 iirc).

I've run 3d mark and got 9805, and even tried running RTHDRIBL (rotating balls with all kinds of filters, displays frame rate etc) in 8 windows at once and got no errors or anything funny. :wtc:

any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I'm running windows XP Pro and its up to date.

2. pitchblue

pitchblue New Member

I know you said you updated the drivers but to me that sounds like a textbook driver crash or just bad vram in general. Could be a faulty card?

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

How do you know it's not a heat problem? There's lots of little ICs all over your computer that don't have thermosensors or any way to cool themselves except by radiating heat (i.e. glowing).