New computer:buy off ebay, or have built?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Poetic, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Poetic

Poetic Guest

Im thinking about having a computer built, but i was wondering, should i use the money and get one off ebay?

The one i want would have the new AMD 64 chip in it. On ebay the go from 700 to 2,000. So would it be cheaper to have one built to my specs that I wanted????

Thanks in advance :bigthumb:

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Well, it depends on what you want to do with the machine.

If you are going to surf the internet and play solitaire, then just buy a machine off eBay or from Dell.

If you are doing something that may require some custom hardware (better video card, etc) then just custom build it to the specs that you need.

It all depends on the purpose of the machine.

3. Poetic

Poetic Guest

prolly going to make it a gaming machine, my graphics card is wayy out of date its the raedon 7000, so i want to upgrade to better, and a bigger HD, because this one i got only has 12gb left on it. I have 11gb of it for MP3's. so yeah, it would have multi purposes.

4. diranged

diranged New Member

I would say have it built somewhere rather than getting it off of E-Bay. Even better, build it yourself. If your going to venture into the world of AMD64, you will want to build the system based on the tasks you will be doing.

For example, Do you want an Athlon64 or an Athlon64 FX-51? The FX (940 Pin) series chips include a second DDR memory controller for truly memory intensive applications (photoshop, video editing, autocad, etc). However, for most gaming it has been shown that the cheaper Athlon64 (754pin) is just about as good and significantly cheaper. Once you determine that, figure out which Chipset you want. If you want to run only Windows, then getting an NForce3 or Via800 chipset really doesnt matter too much. However, if you really want to run Linux, the Via800 chipset works better. In all technical senses, the Via800 is faster because it has an 800Mhz HT link (double-data pumped to 1600MHz) vs the 600MHz in the NForce3 (double-data pumped to 1200MHz) but again, depending on what you are doing it might not even be noticeable.

I would say that you can build your self a DAMN fast Athlon64 system for a grand easiliy, but if you want an FX series chip, it will be more like 1700-1800.

--Matt

5. Poetic

Poetic Guest

yeah the FX is what i was lookin into because i want to get back into photo editing on PS and stuff, i don't do photography, but i just want to teach myself to edit pics and stuff, but on my current set up photoshop runs like shit. 1.4ghz amd athlon with 384mb ram.

Thats why im lookin into upgrading.

Theres a computer place in town that can help build, so i might swing by there and ask them about computers and prices.

6. diranged

diranged New Member

Keep in mind, if you dont want to pay the premium for the FX-51 chip (2.2GHz) you can pick up a Opteron 146 chip (2.0GHz) for a bit less cash and its still DAMN fast. I am running an 846 (the same as the 146, but is able to be used in a multi-processor system) and it is insanely fast. Practically overkill for most photoshop work.

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I'd even check into the P4C's.... you can build a system thats just as (or more) cheap and reliable; plus alot more is natively compatible. Photoshop runs absolutely great on my 2.4C setup.... you just have to make sure you have enough RAM to cover it.

8. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

My vote goes towards building your own machine. You get the best quality parts, the lowest price, and you learn alot about your machine. You might run into some snags during the build, but you will be thankful later on when you know immediately how to solve a problem. Also I would avoid Ebay as much as possible. The probability of getting screwed or having difficulties is alot higher through Ebay IMHO (unless you are extremely lucky, or extremely careful... or both). Do some research and use a trusted retailer like newegg and you won't be dissapointed.

9. diranged

diranged New Member

Would you like to explain what you mean by this? How could two chips that both perform to the x86 instruction set be more or less compatible?

Hence why he was probably looking at an AMD64 chip -- the ability to hold as much ram as you can buy, and the ability to address more than 2gb of ram per application.