New computer build

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ldaggerl, Mar 9, 2010.

1. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Ok well I'm building a new machine (not completely new) and so far I have a Q9550, 8 gigs of ram, and an MSI P45 neo 2 motherboard. I have 3 80 HD's (2 are brand new ones a little older but holds an OS at the moment) and plan to run them in raid 0, I also have a 1.5T drive thats use strictly for storage. I also for the time being am going to stick with the 8800GTS I have. Is there anything special I should do for this that may help boost performance or just make it an overall better computer. I'm coming from an AMD 4400+ 939, with MSI mobo, 2 gigs of DDR400 ram, and can't run any nvidia video card past the 7 series. I know its a big step lol. I've never set up raid before so this should be rather interesting. From what I understand all I'll need to do is hook up all the HDD's then start the computer, I should see something like F8 or what not to go into the raid set up and configure it correctly. Then I'd go and install the OS after that. Am I correct in this statement?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  2. Graham

Graham OT Supporter

it seems that your main question is about RAID, and it's buried pretty much at the end of that wall of text.

you might wanna try a separate thread for that.

3. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Yeah I'm just wondering how I described it being set up was correct but I wanted to give a little info on the parts I'll be using. I guess I didn't need to add in anything about my old system but oh well.

4. Graham

Graham OT Supporter

Well the build looks like it's going to be plenty fast, so the only limitation if this is for gaming, is the video card of course.

But the 8800's weren't exactly slow.

:dunno:

5. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Yeah plays bioshock 2 at max settings no problem and thats on a q6600 with 4 gigs of ram. I have cross fire on the board and I want to pick up a set of 5770's, or if by the time I have the money the 5830's are in my price range I'll buy those.

6. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Well I got my computer up and running, ran into a few problems such as windows 7 wouldn't install for whatever reason. Kept hanging after the computer reboots and goes back into the install to complete the installation. I installed vista instead and worked fine. I had an 8800GTS in the computer but every time I installed drivers for it, either old or new it would start the computer and when time to load the desktop it just goes blank and doesn't load. I have a 2900 GT and it worked fine so thats what I'm using now.

7. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Any suggestions as to what I should run for a replacement video card. I'm looking to keep it under $300. I was looking at running crossfire 5770's but I see the new 5830 came out and is like $225 or around there. I'm only running a resolution of 1440x900 for the time being but I do have plans to within the year get a new monitor and I was planing on a nice 27" or getting more along top of the line 24". Or if anyone can suggest a nice dual monitor setup I'd run that as well but it would have to be super thin on the sides as I don't want to have a huge gap in the middle of my desktop