New computer build v.254354

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JaJae, Jul 17, 2007.

1. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I'm looking to upgrade my computer this week. I'm looking to spend about $1000.

I am going to keep my optical drives, hard drives, monitor, keyboard, mouse, OS and case. I will be upgrading my motherboard, processor, video card, memory and power supply.

With the upcoming price drop VR-Zone : Technology Beats - Intel Desktop CPU Price Cut On July 22 I think the Q6600 will be affordable. I recognize it won't be the best platform for gaming but I think quad core is going to be the future and I wouldn't mind getting on that bandwagon now since AMD will be releasing their new chips shortly.

So I'm pretty much decided on either the Q6600 or the E6850. I'm hoping to get one of these for about $300 based on those estimated prices.

I have no intentions of ever running SLI mode. So I was thinking of the P35 chipset. It's newer and allows me to run DDR2 1066 memory. Other options would be the 965 or the nvidia 600 series chipsets. I think the P35 is the way to go right now. Anyone have any thoughts? I don't need a great board that overclocks great. I just need something that will run well and last.

This is the board I was looking at:
    Newegg.com - ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
    I've heard mixed reviews about this board. Anyone have any other suggestions? I chose this because the Intel boards don't specify that they'll run 1066 memory.

Memory: 2 x 1GB (2GB) DDR2 1066 memory.
    I've always gone with Corsair. For roughly $150 I'm I think it's a good deal.
    2 x 1GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 Dual Channel Kit
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Video Card: 320MB 8800GTS
    XFX PVT80GGHD4 GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
    Here's the video Card I was looking it. Good clock speeds and good rebate.
    Newegg.com - XFX PVT80GGHD4 GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

Power supplies I'm a bit up in the the air about. I was looking at the 520/620 watt Corsair power supplies or something like this 650 watt Seasonic with a $20 rebate. Newegg.com - SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC - Retail
    For power supplies I want something good quality and something relatively quiet. Having a fan blowing inside the case is a bonus for my current setup so I was looking at the Corsair.

Any suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks.

All in all my budget looks something like this:

$300 processor
    $150 motherboard
    $150 memory
    $275 video card
    $125 power supply

Which comes to about $1000 + shipping which should bring me to roughly the $1000 mark. I wouldn't mind going over budget and spending more the motherboard if needed.

2. mrj

mrj New Member

I stopped reading this at "Quadcore will be the future."

Let me know when the majority of software can optimize 64bit and dual core, and then we'll talk about 4x4.

If you plan on using that computer for the next 7 years, go all in for it.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why does everyone want a mobo that is GOING to break?

4. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

P35 is the new chipset and theres still some bugs in it ive heard

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Almost the same as my build, but I'm going with the Abit IP35 Pro and Crucial Ballistix ram.

I already have the XFX 8800GTS, Corsair HX620 PSU, and a Lian-Li V1000 Plus II case.

Anyway,.. definitely go with the P35 boards.

I was supposed to go with Asus P5K Deluxe but it seems to have a lot of issues. The mosfets at the back of the board turned me off completely (not an issue with that vanilla version you are considering). Also, I require 6 internal SATA ports for my Hard drives so the board you want will not work for me.

The Gigabyte boards have a lot of good reviews, but I don't see me using those legacy ports (LPT, COM) so I decided to try Abit.

P35 boards with DDR3 is a just waste of money right now, imo.

For RAM, go with the Corsair Dominator if you could get it at a great price.
    The XMS version is usually way cheaper but I think it's only $10 difference right now after rebates. Note that the only difference between the 2 is the heatsink.

What CPU cooler will you use? Intel stock cooler sucks.

6. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Who said anything about a single program using multi-cores? My reference was to Windows Vista and running numerous applications.

7. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Why would it break?

8. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I've heard em too, the other option I see is the 680i. If I go that route I'd likely go with an eVGA or Asus.

9. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Thanks for the response. I also have a Lian-Li case. And yea, the rebate on the Dominator make the price basically on par with the XMS price. I've always only bought XMS in the past, but with these prices it seems fitting.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It won't, Jolly's just a huge Intel sackrider right now. The ASUS board will do fine; it probably just ships with an old BIOS revision.

Anyway, the 1066MHz RAM is only useful if you can set the motherboard speed to a multiple of 1066MHz. If you can't, the clockspeeds of the motherboard, RAM, and CPU won't line up and you'll get little, if any performance boost from the extra speed.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

something will break. The audio, network, raid, etc... something always breaks on those boards.

12. mrj

mrj New Member

My point is that you're buying what you consider the "future technology" 3-7 years before anyone will care about it.

My point; there will be far, far, far better 4x4 chips created in those 3-7 years. Buy the best 2x2 or 1x2 you can get.

My dual core opteron @ 3.0ghz can handle anything thrown at it, there is no remote need for 4x4 on anything other than high traffic sql clusters/etc.

13. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

3-7 years? Crysis and about 6 other games that will come in 2008 are known to take advantage of quad cores. But yeah, dual cores will have no problem running those games. It's just that you're wrong if you think no one cares about it.

Also,.. the problem with your "buy dual now, quad later" analogy is that the best dual core (E6850) is at the same price with the Q6600. Even if he goes with the slower E6750, price diff is only around $80.

The performance advantage of the dual core over the quad is not that big either.
    http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3038&p=8

As for future proofing,... you can always oveclock, but you cannot add more cores. Of course, future quads or even octo-cores will pwned the current ones,... but it will sure be expensive too.

14. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I've had a GA-P35-DQ6 for over 2 months nowk, and it has been rock solid. I can easily say it is the best LGA775 board I have ever used.

15. Chris

Chris New Member

16. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You can usually trust Gigabyte to have a solid product.

17. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You're right, quad core is usable today. No idea what mrj has against it; I mean, how many processes does XP run at one time, to say nothing of Vista? I've seen process counts in the 70's on idle machines immediately after bootup.

EDIT: Ironically, my Athlon XP is still running like a champ. Obviously it isn't as fast as newer machines, but there's no lag, per se.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  18. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Thanks for that link I was torn between the Q6600 and the E6850 because I wasn't sure how much gaming performance I would lose.

19. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

I think its worth it to go Quad core because even though the Dual core performs better in games, minimal as it may be, the difference with some of the other stuff according to that chart is huge and we do know that more games will come optimized for quad cores

20. Chris

Chris New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I agree, I'm going quad core, its the future and I keep computers for a long time.

Future-proofing is important to me.