New comp time, have rough idea

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Surgie, May 26, 2009.

1. Surgie

Surgie Mein Führer, I can walk!

Heya guys, looking to build a new tower for both gaming and work. The latter mostly consists of using VMs and Visual Studio while gaming right now is limited to WoW but probably going to start picking up some newer games over the next few months.

I was looking to keep it at 700-800 price range, but also wanted to make sure I had room to expand in the future so was willing to drop a little more on the mobo than appears absolutely necessary for the other components; from my understanding the AM3 socket is going to be around for a while yet, so looking to have some flexibility to upgrade the processor / vid card and possibly ram down the line.

Here's what I've got in mind so far...

Mobo - 170$ - MSI 790fx-gd70
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130223

Cpu - 140$ - Athlon Phentom II x3 720 Black
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649&Tpk=x3 720

PSU - 90$ after MIR - PC Power & Cooling 750w
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

Graphics Card - 190$ - Sapphire Radeon 4870 1gb
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102801

Leaves me needing a case, ram and hard drive still. The case and hd I havn't fully decided on, but looking at probably antec / wd respectively, as I've both used them extensively in the past and never had any problems. Just wanting one with a good air flow and still relatively quiet on the case, dosn't have to look fancy or anything.

The ram is where I'm a little more stuck on... between timing, matching frequencies, ddr2 vs ddr3 and everything else I get a little bit confused on that end. I notice there's line in the specifications that state its memory standard as DDR3 2133 OC and it uses dual-channel; gets me a bit closer to what I need but not all the way there, so help on this would be greatly appreciated :)

2. CapCrunch

CapCrunch OT Supporter

3. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

That board is re-goddamn-diculous. Great for the money.

As far as video cards go, the next gen of ATI cards with 40nm GPUs are on the way. Unless you NEED to get something top of the line RIGHT NOW, I may suggest waiting for them.

4. Surgie

The 40nm gpu being the 4770? I've seen some really solid reviews for that, but dosn't seem to be in stock anywhere right now... I know one of the cards was supposedly in-stock on newegg for a couple of days (showed that it was, at least) but look like it's gone now.

Really I'd like to order in the next few days, as my current machine is starting to show it's age. If the 4770 is actually for-sale somewhere I think I could go that route and save a bit extra on the card for the time being, with the ability to either buy a 2nd one (if it ends up not quite being enough with one) at roughly the same price point anyways or wait a bit longer for the next model one up down the line.

5. SeeVinceRun

The 4670 and 4770 are 40nm now, but the future cards like the 5870 and 5870X2 will also be 40nm. Since they run at roughly 11ty million degrees right now, the smaller die size would be worth it in my opinion.

But if you are wanting to buy now, I wouldn't worry.

edit- Also, read tomshardware reviews for two 4770's in crossfire.

6. SeeVinceRun

7. Surgie

Okay so there's this following deal on newegg which I just spotted, for 50$ off on the x4 955 BE and some corsair ram. It'd mean spending a little more but I'm okay with that if the ram is good, but as that's the part that's caused me the most confusion would like to see what you guys think.

The Deal -
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.192694

CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145200

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

just giving you more options here:

that MSI board - $170
    tri-core sucks
    Phenom II x4 995 and Corsair DDR3 combo - $292
    Total = $462

vs

P45 mobo - $100-$150
    Q9550 - $270
    DDR2 RAM - $40
    Total = $410-$460

pretty much in the same price range depending on the mobo,... but the Q9550 will rape that Phenoms ass if you overclock.
    heck, even the $168 E8400 is a better deal on single-threaded apps.

only con with the Intel is that LGA775 is on its last legs. but since you are planning to buy the top of the line Phenom,... and the Q9550 is one of the high end cpus as well,.... i don't see you upgrading soon.

both will probably last 2-3 yrs, maybe more till your next upgrade.

and by that time,... we have 6 and octo-cores and mobos would have SATA3 and USB 3.0 standard.

9. SeeVinceRun

I agree that the 9550 would beat the 955 phenom if you overclock it, but his motherboard is a pretty high end unit, gives him more options, ETC. and with an AM3 socket, he will be able to upgrade even further later on, probably to a six or eight core when they come out. I like the 9550's, they are insanely fast chips, but I just cant tell someone to buy 775 anymore, now that its on the way out.

EDIT- I agree, dont get a triple core. I had one, its not that much faster than a dual. Go quad.

10. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

its really a bad time to build either way
    amd would be releasing AM3 boards with 8xx chipsets soon. this will be better for his Phenom II.

and then there is Intel's upcoming Core i5 and P55.

11. SeeVinceRun

Seriously. We are on the verge of new technology being released. But if you have to build, only the AM3 would offer the upgradable path.