(new) civic vs. sentra vs. mazda3 vs. scion tc

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by BillyC94, Jun 2, 2005.

1. BillyC94

BillyC94 Guest

i really dont know too much about cars so im try to get as many 3rd party perspectives. Anywho-zell-bees heres my plight...
    I can get the Civic (not the hybrid or economy edition) for about $15,500. I am not extremely hot on the civic though.
    I had the sentra for $11,900 but the dealership seemed like a real sleaze and was a real dick. I was more than willing to walk out of there with my pride and buy the car for more money later.
    I liked the mazda3 and i could get it for $16,000. But that is just the i edition with some upgrades.
    The only Scion im interested in is the tc. The other 2 are cheesey, especially the xB. (sorry if you own one) The sticker price was about $17,300, but i assume i can get it down to the low 16s as well. I just didn't feel like bargaining and handing out my number to another dealer. Not that their bad people, their just paid to commpletely blow smoke up your ass. Also, with the scions being relatively new, what kind of reputation do they have?
    Any honest opinion on what i should get would be a big help?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you can NOT negotiate a scion. They are more of a take-it-or-leave-it deal... Maybe a couple hundred, but you'll never get a grand off of msrp. as for their rep, the xA and xB are getting some bad reputations as not up to Toyota standards. So far the tC is doing better, but not where it should be.

Also remember that this is a coupe, as where the sentra, mazda 3, and most civics are sedans.

As for the civic, you're probably getting ripped off at $15.5k... I see brand-new ones that are well-equipped go for $13-14k.

Of all that you mention, I think you should go with the tC if you want a sporty coupe. The tC is packed with value. Hard to argue with that.

If you want a reliable sedan, then the Civic would win.

If you want a sporty sedan, then the Mazda 3 would win.

The sentra is a good econo-rig, but the rest you have picked simply out-shine it, in my opinion.

Drive em all, and just buy what YOU LIKE. Forget about who is cheapest... Get what is going to make you the happiest.

3. ISO9002

ISO9002 New Member

For the money, i definitely go for the tC, and I did. Its like if you want a 4-dr, you get a 4-dr. If you want a 2-dr coupe, go for a 2-dr coupe. Ask yourself, you know better! Once you answered yourself that question, its much easier. For that price, and a 2-dr, nothing can beat the tC. Remember and its true, you cannot bargain on the price of a scion. Oh yes, many of us have tried, 99.9% unsuccessful. Maybe you get a keychain, but thats it!

4. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

at $15,500 that civic could be a very equipped car, so how could we know if you're getting "ripped off" :hsugh: . th 7g civic has not been up to the quality and reliability standards that the old cars have, so you know.

one thing to always consider about reliability reports i.e. jd powers or consumer reports is that they are no matter what biased. not so much on hte survey side, but rather the consumer side. different people buy different kinds of cars and have different expectations. i.e. a lexus owner will be alot more picky than a pontiac owner. always use a grain of salt. that said, the xA and xB Scions have been okey-doke in the consumer reports. the typical scion owner expects lexus wuality out of their $12000 car, so... :mamoru: . also scion's policy is no negotiation (just like saturn). if a dealer did negotiate, they could lose the franchise. (as told to me in scion training - i use to write toyota service btw)

anyway i like the mazda3 in this scenario. its a very nice car all around and nimble yet a bit slow. my second choice is the tC, not a bad car either and even though i'm really not into facy lighting or visual add-ons, its very cool that they offer this stuff right from the manufacturer warantied and all. they also offer some light performance mods but what the car needs first and foremost in that regard is some better tires. the potenza re92's are the worst tire i've ever owned. ever.

5. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

tC!!! But I'm biased :o

6. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

I was going to suggest a Mazda 6, but after just checking the Mazda website... found out that they're 19k+ :hs: Those fuckers look damn nice too...

7. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

i have a mazda6 :bigthumb:

8. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

I really like the Mazda 6s, it's so damn sexy :yum:

9. NEGROTIATOR

NEGROTIATOR New Member

that's only the sticker.. you can easily walk away with a 6 for 16k. right now if you finance you should get another grand off that =)

10. Romulus Cogswell

Romulus Cogswell New Member

That would probably be the 6i which has the 2.3 and is a bit stripped down.

11. NEGROTIATOR

NEGROTIATOR New Member

it comes "fairly" welll equiped. it's probably just as equiped as the cars he mentioned above. i know for sure a 3i for 16k includes air/power package which the 6 comes standard with. the only thing that would be a set back is manual.

12. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

sure you can walk away with a 6 for $16K, but it'll have steelies and no options. my wife's car was barely equipped and its msrp was 20,800. i'm not one who needs a ton of extras, even in my wifes car but at the same time buying the value advertizer edition just isnt worth it. meh.

now i did get mine for an excellent price, but it wasnt an anyday scenario. it was the end of december nad there was a 2k incentive, plus i am good friends with my salesman so i got it for a very low price. oh and since i am in the car business they gave me buy rate on the loan :bigthumb:

13. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

The last gen Protege was fantastic.. I don't know about the 3 as I have never driven one, all I know is I hate the way it looks. But of the choices I'd probably recommend the 3 most, aside from the aesthetics, which evidently don't bother you. Next I would say the Civic sedan, in LX trim with a manual, I almost bought one. Good looking car, enjoyable to drive, and not too expensive if you leave off the extra options. The higher trim levels are not worth it, IMO. If you bide your time you can get in with one of Honda's 1.9% financing deals, which really makes the Civic a good deal. Then the tC which is probably the best choice if you aren't into driving excitement, as it excels everywhere but that. I wouldn't worry about reliability since it's just a Toyota at heart (a mutated version of the JDM Avensis model in fact). Unlike the xA and xB, it isn't based on the Vitz/Echo platform, so it's not as much of a cheap econobox underneath, but don't expect it to feel like an Acura RSX.

The new Sentra is quite honestly a turd, and I would steer clear even though it's cheap. If you want a car in that price range just buy a couple year old used/certified and get a better car.

Others you might want to check out - Mini Cooper base, Hyundai Elantra GT (no really!), also I love the Lancer Ralliart, but it's be a little higher than the price level of your other picks... sadly, it's just sort of overpriced. But very fun.