GUN New Carry Pistol

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by A&P Ace, Nov 3, 2003.

1. A&P Ace

A&P Ace New Member

I picked this up as my carry pistol a couple weeks ago. No complaints as of yet. The second pic is it next to one of my NM1911s.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2003
  2. A&P Ace

A&P Ace New Member

35 views and no comments? Oh well.

3. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

:cool: 1911

more info?

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Kahr :cool: What are you carrying it in?

5. A&P Ace

A&P Ace New Member

It was custom built using all government NM parts and a NM springfield frame.

I shot 165 gr and 180 gr through it and the 165 gr seemed to shoot better so I'm carrying 165 gr winchester sxt for now. I have heard good things about the magsafe, but havent had the time to order some.

Heard any pros or cons on the magsafe?

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

is it Ranger SXT, or just SXT? if it's not ranger sxt, then make it so. the sxt is nowhere near as good. the ranger sxt is the new name for black talons, and it is STILL the best performing ammo on the market.

7. footratfunkface

yes. the difference is that the edges of the overlapping jacket at the point of the hollow point are no longer sharpened to a razor's edge. this is because surgeons would go to remove the fragments, and the razor-sharp leading edges of the jacket would slice right through their gloves and skin. this has no bearing on the effectiveness of the round, though, as this razor-sharp edge has no more effect with the round travelling as fast as it does. it was a gimmick, a selling point. the ranger sxt is exactly the same other than that.

8. footratfunkface

they didn't get banned, they were just given a bad name by the media. no one wants their ammunition tied to things like the term "cop killer". because only "cop killer" ammunition actually kills cops. and only those rounds penetrate the thin level IIA vests most cops wear. it's just complete crap that the average joe hears on the news and then thinks horrible thoughts about guns, ammuntion, and their manufacturers and owners.

9. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i was actually curious what sort of holster rig you had for it. :big grin: "it in" not "in it" ;) But always happy to BS about ammo too!

i'm guessing from the weights that it's a .40 and not a 9mm. i have a tendency to assume Kahrs are all 9mm for some reason. :dunno: Anyway, the pic is down or i'm not seeing it or something, but moving right along:

Ammo is mostly whatever floats your boat as long as you have a quality name.

Black Talons were HIGHLY over-rated however. They were no more or less effective than any other comparable JHP round. Just a flashy name and media attention. It's totally inane to see the inflated prices people charge at shows for the old "Black Talon" labeled ammo. Frankly, i point and snicker at the suckers who buy it. :o

In .40, i favor the higher velocity 165gr weights. They tend to have the best balance of weight and speed in my opinion, and the numbers and tests generally show it to be a very versatile weight for the caliber. i shoot the 165gr Remington Golden Saber as it's been fairly extensively tested by my local PD's and the federal government (and chosen for carry by the FBI, incidentally). i have easy access to it locally, and i've shot enough of it through my guns that i trust it to function with my .40's.

The fragmenting ammos like Magsafe and Glaser are interesting, but i've never been a huge fan. i see them as effective at close ranges, on unprotected targets but not beyond that. Were i in a situation where limited penetration was a must, like on an aircraft (where such rounds were designed for use), that's one thing. Otherwise, i feel a bullet transfers its energy more effectively by maintaining its mass into the target, and not breaking up. Even heavy clothing can significantly reduce the effectiveness of fragmenting rounds, whereas regular JHPs are less affected.

Plus, my rule of thumb is i won't trust a gun with my life until i have run a minimum of 300 rounds of the ammo in question through the gun in question. 300 rounds of Magsafe is $$$! :o

10. A&P Ace

A&P Ace New Member

Oops. Those words look too similar when read over quickly. Maybe I need to pay more attention.

Anyways, I posted some more pictures up and also included more of the holster I am using. I dont have experience with any other holsters, but this one is great as far as my needs will ever go.

11. A&P Ace

A&P Ace New Member

Mine isnt the Ranger SXT, just the regular. I was looking online, but the only place I could find the Ranger is on an auction on the grunbroker.com. Do you know of any websites or online stores that sell the Ranger SXT? TIA

12. footratfunkface

kelly, i wish i could find the reports on black talons and ranger sxt. they have better terminal ballistics than golden sabers and gold dots, at least in 9mm. i forget which grain weight, but it's a +P+ load, and it does better than anything else out there.

frangible ammo for use on an airplane is dumb. one or two holes that small in a pressurized hull isn't going to make the plane depressurize very fast, and certainly not going to make it disintegrate. ask any engineer who knows about the structural integrity of airliners. so, unless you're going to be using ball ammo instead of frangibles, frangibles are dumb. just use HP loads, and avoid the whole thing. you don't get overpenetration in bodies, and if you miss and hit the plane, you're not going to die a horrible death.