GUN New carbine: S&W MP15

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by P07r0457, Nov 19, 2007.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Bought a S&W MP15 today. Took it to the range. I was only able to run 2 mags through it, but so far very happy. Gonna shop around for a free-float RAS fore-end for it's first accessory... Then I'll want to add an EOTech. 16" barrel, btw. I thought I'd want to do a SBR, but after handling this I don't think there's any point... 16" is plenty small. In fact, I wish the stock was about 2" longer! anyone know of a good collapsable stock that's longer?

Stock extended:
    [​IMG]
    Stock collapsed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Willie J

Willie J New Member

very nice

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i dont know about length but the Magpul CTR and LMT Crane (SOPMOD) stocks are pretty popular :dunno:

4. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

5. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Nice looking rifle. Is that carry handle detachable?

6. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Looks like it.

7. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

Nice rifle. 1 click out on the stock works for most people, unless you're 7 feet tall. Chances are your stance needs a little help... next time you're at the range and there are other AR guys there, check out what they're doing and talk about setups. FYI

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes. I wanted a flat-top receiver so i could easily add the eotech which has been planned from the get-go.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

odd, I'll talk to them. With the stock anything closer in than fully-extended my face is waaaaay to close to the rear sight. Even with the small apperature I can see the whole world through it. Not good.

10. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Are you shouldering it in your elbow? lulz

11. Clingman

That's the idea, you have a fighting carbine, not a sniper rifle. Focus on the front sight, and forget about the aperture.

I have no idea who the guy in the pic is, I think I snagged the pic off of arfcom a while back. Anyway it's a decent stance. Nose on charging handle. Put the stock squarely on your shoulder, and then raise your shoulders to get the sights inline with your eyes. If you can square up to the target like this and your nose still goes way past the charging handle then you are a bigass dude and maybe you should run your stock 2 clicks out :)

[​IMG]

12. TrueReligion80

TrueReligion80 If theres a heaven, where does Hef go when he dies

Nice, What did you end up paying?
    Went to the gun show this weekend up here in portland and checked a few out with complete Rail Systems that I liked.
    It would be nice to pick one up.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I paid $899 for it out-the-door.

Originally I was looking at the MP15T because it came from the factory with a free-float RAS, but it was $450 more.... And BravoCompanyUSA.com has free-float RAS fore-ends for sale for less than $100.

So next week or so I should have a free-float fore-end on it for much less than from S&W.

Then we'll add the EOTech.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I tried that just now, and indeed 2 clicks would put my nose comfortably on the charging handle. I was not aware that was the proper stance. I'll have to try that at the range and see where my accuracy is, that way.

15. Clingman

Rock on buddy, focus on the front sight and squuueeezzeeeee... you will be getting hits :cool:

16. TrueReligion80

Thats not bad at all. Most of the ones I was looking are were around 1200 or so, but was also with a full rail System. It would be nice to have something I was used to shooting. lol

not to jack your thread....but Whats the big Differance between all the companies that make them?

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there's lots of differences in the quality of parts used, and how they're tested. After researching for several months, and reading lots and lots of forums basically decided that (much like 1911s) everyone and their brother has begun manufacturing AR's. There are probably a lot of decent ones out there, but Stag, CMMG, S&W, Colt, etc seem to be the ones that are always getting mentioned (in a positive way, at least).

After reading some really really long threads at ar15.com I pretty much got the drift that if you don't care about money, and want the absolute best, get a Colt. For the rest of us that want a really nice carbine but want to do so in a cost-effective manner, either buy the parts to build your own CMMG, or buy a S&W MP15.

After talking with some MP15 owners, not a single one had anything negative to say. And after checking the specs, it had what I was looking for... The barrel was chrome-lined, it was chambered for 5.56, it's from a well-known, respected manufacturer, it's got a decent warranty, it was pressure tested, has decent twist, etc. Overall, it was a very nice rifle at a price that was competitive with what I'd have to spend building my own. And in Oregon it's a simple 1-page application and about 3 minutes to get your background-check cleared by phone... So getting something pre-built and warrantied for the same price of having to piece-together scraps, well, it was a no-brainer.

18. TrueReligion80

maybe I didnt get everything in your thread, but im assuming you have shot one before? or had experience with one?

I mainly want one, because it was pretty much my weapon my whole time while I served in the Army and got really comfortable shooting it.

19. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Sweet. I'm thinking that's what I'll pick up when I'm finally ready for an AR. I might just buy a few lowers this spring then put off an AR build for a while.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yes, I have shot several, on many different occassions. However, this is the first one I have owned.

21. TrueReligion80

makes sense. Just thought I asked. I got the picture you've never shot one. Thats awesome you have one of your own now. Sounds like your really happy with it!

22. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Good choice. I've got the exact same firearm. It's a really great all-purpose rifle. It's plenty accurate, and I think it is easily the best budget AR on the market.

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that was my conclusion. It had all the "features" I was looking for in a custom-built CMMG, and at the same price, pay-and-play package with factory warranty, it was a smart move, imo.

24. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Ooh, very nice. S&W M&P representin'.

25. MTech

MTech New Member

I was expecting to come in here to a flame fest like the last time AR talk was going and I asked about this one cause I've only heard good reviews and it looks nice... most everybody on here says build your own for dirt... but for $899 I'd think it'd be pretty damn close minus all the work involved in building one.