New car

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ecofire, Jun 23, 2007.

1. ecofire

ecofire Member

i finally got my wrx. ive wanted one since they went on sale in the U.S. I got a yellow 02 with 75k. It was a little expensive at 15k, but I got book value for my old car and im loving it.

i dont know what it is, but i like it more than my dads sti. its a hell of a lot more comfortable and i thought the turbo lag would irritate me, but its really not that bad. i wish it had the 6 speed but thats not a big deal. i cant wait to drive it again today.

2. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

so does that mean its auto?

3. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

I believe it does

4. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

It could mean he got a 5-speed...the '02s didn't come with 6-speeds...I think he was just comparing it to his dad's STi

5. integraMAHxC

integraMAHxC New Member

i love my rex 2.. but i dont think id like it better then an sti.. with every penny possible im inchin towards a jdm bugeye sti. w/o the stickers..

6. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

its not a rex... this is a rex

[​IMG]

silly subaru drivers.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's not a rex, it's a worx. Yeesh.

Anyway, I bet the WRX would make a badass car to have an automatic in, esp. if it came with paddle shifters. Any automatic worth putting in that car would have to be on par with the Audi TT DSG or the Mazda Miata's automatic, both of which have a nice, crisp feel.

8. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

no. no. no. a thousand times no.

9. deusexaethera

Look, just because you're fond of manually manipulating your stick, doesn't mean it's right for everyone. There are plenty of people who view owning a car as a relationship, and driving the car as the closest to physical intimacy such a relationship can ever have. To that end, there are plenty of people who like to let their baby shift their gears for them sometimes. But you just go on ahead and have fun with your right hand.

10. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

...15k..isnt that WAY too much?

11. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

:ugh2: automatic sucks on a 2.0 liter car.

It saps a ton of power from the car, plus the gearing is usually awful.

Automatic WRX's are SLOW. If you want a car like a WRX, get a manual.

If you want an automatic, get a luxury sedan. The subaru automatics aren't exactly the same quality as a luxury transmission's automatic.

Not to mention auto gas mileage+awd gas mileage = crap.

12. deusexaethera

Look, I'm not saying that an automatic is going to be exactly the same as a stickshift, on the WRX or on any car. What I'm saying is that, to a few people at least, the convenience of having a transmission that can shift itself may be worth losing an extra 5-10% whp, even on a car like the WRX. Besides, it's not like the WRX is lacking for power to start with; were we talking about a Honda Civic, then the only way to get any kind of pickup would be to have a stickshift, to be sure.

Personally, I'd rather have a Legacy GT, but there are a couple of people at my office park who drive WRXs to work every day, and I gotta think that on some evenings the one guy who's got a stickshift really wishes he'd gotten the automatic instead.

As for gearing issues, I'll admit that one's a problem since it's so bleeding hard to change gear ratios on an automatic -- though certain cars definitely have good setups. The new Miatas have kick-ass six-speed Tiptronics in them.

Oh, and if you're buying a turbocharged boxer with all-wheel-drive and bodywork that definitely isn't designed to move through the air like a ninja, then gas mileage is not your top concern anyway.

13. integraMAHxC

integraMAHxC New Member

At WBM they had the 2008 legacy GT, it had paddle shifters, dont know if itll b an option for the new WRX, which btw looked a lot better in person, still though its a mazda 3 backend w/ corolla front end..

14. ecofire

ecofire Member

its a 5 speed. i dk how to drive an automatic, lol.