New car system (eclipse hu?)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by unrealii, May 3, 2004.

1. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Here is what I already have left over from my taurus: mtx 5400x 5 channel amp, image dynamics idq10, polk audio db3000 tweeters w/crossover, power wires, and some other misc crap.

I figured if I buy two pairs of some good midrange woofers and a good head unit, I can use all of this in my maxima. I know nothing about head units. I went to good guys to look at head units, but I ended up buying an Eclipse CD8053 hu for $430 on clearance. It was the last one they had, so I figured I would grab it and if its not the right one for me, I'll return it. I had my heart set on pioneer for the oel display, but from what al&eds and good guys told me, eclipse has the best sq.

From what I have read, this was the top of the line model from last year by eclipse. It doesn't support mp3 unless I buy a pricy accessory which has more features than I need. The hu has 8v pre outs and I checked, my mtx accepts 8Vrms, so I should be good. Is there anything I need to know about this hu? here's some more specs.

Anyone who has this eclipse model, I have a few questions about the remote functionality. I plan on adding a pac swix to use the steering wheel buttons on the factory bose system with my new hu.

Thanks in advance.

2. On_One

On_One Guest

http://www.eclipse-web.com/index_e-com.html :eek3: That pretty impressive. I am however very skeptical of it works in real ife situations.

3. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Yeah, seems very interesting. That's too much stuff for me.

Has anyone had any experiences with this eclipse cd8053? Is it worth keeping for $430. I just want something which sounds good and will last for a very long time. I dont care too much about mp3 as I can add a cd changer for about $100 if I go ebay.

4. gstrdr1

gstrdr1 Active Member

I would stick with it. I had a 55040 and it worked flawlessly and sounded great. I had it for 2 years but it went with the car when I sold it. :wtc: Probably still crankin out there somewhere.

5. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

I've had my 54430 for over 4 years, and it still works (and looks) as good as the day I bought it :)