New Car Care v.238

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Brock, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Brock

Brock New Member

I just got a new black car and and came in here looking to seem how to best protect and maintain the paint. First off, thanks to Scott for a great EDU, there a ton of helpful info and it pretty much answers everything, but I do have a few questions.

Reading the EDU and searching some old threads, it looks like there' a few ways to care for new paint so I'm still a little confused, primarily:

wash
    clay
    sealant
    wax

or

wash
    clay
    polish
    wax

My paint is in great shape, smooth as glass with no swirl marks so I'm assuming that there's no reason to do the clay step. Correct?

I plan on using Meguiar's products since they are locally available and so it seems that I either do #21 followed by #26. Or speed glaze then #26. Or is there no real reason to seal and wax and maybe just do the NXT 2.0 and call it a day?

2. Brock

Brock New Member

I forgot to mention that the dealer waxed the car before I took possession. I have no idea exactly what they used but I guess its safe to assume that it was some sort of carnauba wax.

3. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Wash.......
    Clay.......
    Polish.......

Then sealant or wax. You can even do both after the sealant has cured.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If the paint is glass smooth, there is no need to clay. No idea what the dealership used but I'd considering using a light polish (non or minimally abrasive) to clean the paint and remove the dealer's wax before using a wax or sealant.

With black paint, I'd go with Meguiars #9 followed by #26 if you are using consumer level products. If you want to go with something with a bit more depth, Clearkote's Red Machine Glaze or Vanilla Moose followed by Carnauba Moose Wax looks great. On either combination, there is a sealant you can use over the carnauba waxes; Optimum Opti-Seal. After using a carnauba, next time you wash the car, go over it with Opti-Seal. It will add some additional wetness and lock in the carnauba look.

5. Brock

Brock New Member

Thanks, I actually have some old bottles of #9 and #26 but after I saw your post here:

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3420738

I think I'll opt for the ClearKote products. That second pic is awesome. One other questions, any issues with applying the RMG by hand?

6. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

I would clay just a small section, and then compare it with the rest of the car. If its the same, then there is no need to clay it.

7. Brock

Brock New Member

Oh, and after washing it tonight I found a minor scratching in the clear coat on one of the doors, about a foot long. I tried the #9 with no luck, what should I try next to take it out?

8. Brock

Brock New Member

Will do, I'm going to be ordering some clay for my TL so I'll try it on the new car to see.

9. EnviousEric

EnviousEric New Member

you can try some scratch X OTC, or something like megs 83/80

and if you have black, and love a deep liquid look, i definitely agree with scotts saying of RMG...its an amazing glaze that adds TONS to the look of the paint. Top RMG with pinnacle souveran paste wax and you will have one amazing looking ride!

10. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

RMG works fine by hand, lately, I mix it 50/50 with Vanilla Moose so it has a bit more cut but you still get the great depth it provides.

In the end though, it would be best to invest in a PC/UDM/G110 and pads to get the best results. However, you can minimize the need to polish if you are careful about washing your car.

11. Brock

Brock New Member

Thanks to all for your input, the car is looking great. I wanted to get the car done before I left town last weekend so I stuck with stuff I could get locally. I first did Meguiars #9 then NXT 2.0. A few days later I followed it up with #26. Came out really well. Tried the ScratchX on the scratch, it diminished it but it's still there. I'll probably try some more before going to the 80 or 83.

So now my next questions, what is the best way to maintain this? If I give it a light dusting each morning with a dry microfiber towel and QD any blemishes, am I just inviting scratches? Should I do the sealant then wax each time or just wax say every month or two and sealant every 2nd or 3rd time?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008