A&P New CANON REBEL XT DSLR UNVEILED!!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by JINN, Feb 17, 2005.

1. JINN

JINN New Member

2. mojito

mojito New Member

Hmm, about what I though t it would be. Better than the original, but still a disappointment. Plastic body still, and smaller and lighter to boat.

THe fixed a lot of other things though, faster rames per second and longer burst, better sensor and proccessor, AI servo, lower noise, ETTL II, better white balance in camera option (who does that anyway), same software as the 1Ds mkII.

A newer version of the 18-55, but no real changes. Layout is still awful

3. mojito

mojito New Member

I bet it still outsells the original. Curious what the new price will be. Has to be in the 999 range, and the original rebel will fall or have a big rebate.

4. dmora

dmora Guest

Looking at the pix... it does look cheap (quality). :sad2:

5. weezerfan

weezerfan New Member

I need that sensor :eek3:

6. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

It sure does

7. sony

sony Active Member

You fools.. its about cost. They're not going to give it a magneseum body. The D70 is plastic body, plastic frame. Thats how the market for these cameras are. You get a lot of features for as cheap as possible so that the camera company can hook you in. You end up upgrading to a better body, more lenses, etc. I don't expect a lot of people to make the Rebel->Rebel transition. Most people who buy the Rebel XT are probably going to be newcomers to the game, lured in by the 8mp camera and it's excellent ISO responsiveness, the 3fps (which is good enough) and the other very capable features, which are a big improvement over the mark one. This is an entry level dSLR, not a pro camera. It isn't made to be taken into the jungle. It isn't ruggedly built, water sealed, or any of that. It's for joe who wants to take it to the park and take a picture of his kid. :ugh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks fine to me. It has a more rubberized plastic that people were complaining about in other threads. :rolleyes: Can't please you pros!

8. sony

sony Active Member

The XT will probably fill in the 999.99 slot. The Digital Rebel will be discontinued, I suspect. They cleared a lot of inventory out with the rebate. :o

9. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

yeah seriously...i am just a beginner and a digital rebel would be perfect for me to learn dslr stuff...im working with a film rebel and a coolpix 5700...a 300d would be amazing right now...speaking of which what do you think the new price will be for the older 300d?

10. sony

sony Active Member

Theres probably going to be a firesale on them when the XT comes out. Keep in mind that this is just an announcement and as far as I can tell (I skimmed the article), there hasn't been a release date yet. The way Canon releases bodies is they will discontinue the current camera and have a small lull period where current stock is allowed to be moved away (at great prices), then the new body will be released, so the Rebel is probably going to be available at really affordable prices in the coming months. :cool:

11. weezerfan

weezerfan New Member

:rofl:

12. sony

sony Active Member

It isn't. :o It'd probably get ruined. :hs:

13. weezerfan

weezerfan New Member

I'd take my Rebel into the jungle :bigthumb:

14. mojito

mojito New Member

it doesn't have to be a EOS 1 body, but theres no reason why it couldn't be more like a 10D/20D in build quality and especially in layout.

15. raptor_talon

raptor_talon Who is the master? Sho'nuff!

I suspect they didn't want to cannibalize the 20D market - which is what would have happened if they gave this one a magnesium alloy body and other capabilities.

I also suspect this ones limitations are hardware based rather than firmware crippling - so we won't see any future firmware hacks.

16. sony

sony Active Member

Like I said, it's an entry level dSLR. Unlike Nikon, Canon tries to maintain some type of hierarchy when it comes to their camera bodies. Each body has more or less a distinct market and the Rebel XT's market doesn't need a magneseum body. I haven't heard much complaint about the D70's body from any of you guys and it's plastic/plastic vs the Rebel's plastic/metal. :hsugh: Then you guys say blah blah blah it's the smooth feel of the plastic, then you complain about the XT's plastic when it gets a more rubberized matte finish. :hsugh:

I see the XT as perfect for who it's marketed for. It isn't made for everyone and it obviously isn't made for you, so why complain about it? :dunno:

17. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

The D70 has a stainless steel chassis.

18. sony

sony Active Member

The Rebel has a metal frame under its polycarbonate body.
    The D100 has a meal frame under its magneseum body.
    The D70 has a polycarbonate frame under its polycarbonate body.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dogging the D70. :hsugh: They saved a lot of money using a polycarbonate frame and the savigns gets passed on to the end user. Polycarbonate is a lot stronger than you guys make it out to be. I just think it's silly that people say the Rebel is cheaply builtwhen the D70 isn't compose of the strongest materials on this earth either and even when the outside body is less cheap FEELING, people still complain. Most of you probably won't ever purchase a XT because it isn't good enough of a camera for you needs. That is fine. It was designed for a specific market, and it will sell in that market.

19. canonshooter

canonshooter New Member

smart of them to come out with silver and black finish at the same time.

20. insomnia

insomnia New Member

:werd:

thats what our canopys on our jets are made of, its tough shit.

You guys got an estimate on the date of release? I didn't see one in the article :hs:

21. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

i'd say it's equal or just barely better. 8mp is like 200 lines more than 6mp so a properly enlarged d70 pic will probably look the same. you might get more noise at 8mp with the same size sensor, but then again you might not since it's a brand new sensor with supposedly less noise. it's not just noise but other artifacts as well. 6mp seems to be the most efficient for aps-c so far. although when blown up at high dpi's digital noise is less apparent than film grain. it's a great improvement but the kit lens has got to go

22. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

Kit lens is fine for the price. You won't find a cheaper priced zoom lens in that range at that price, period.

23. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

it's a fine lens, but you might as well buy the body alone and get say a 50 1.8

24. sony

sony Active Member

One of the things I like about this camera is it is 25% smaller than the current rebel.

[​IMG]

For those who have seen the kit lens, look at the size of the lens compared to the camera. :eek3: Those who shoot with larger cameras might not like it, but it could be a really good travel camera because of it's compact size. Coupling it with a Sigma 18-200mm might be a good walk around combo. :coold:

25. sony

sony Active Member

Why would you want your only lens to be a midrange (kind of long on a 1.6x crop) prime? :hsugh:

Then again, if you can't afford to buy the kit lens and another lens, you really have to question if SLRS are made for you. You're probably better off getting a Sony 828.