A&P New cam today (128KB pics!)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by eighteen_psi, Dec 7, 2003.

1. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Thanks in part to the help I got here, I finally ruled out a new camera due to the lack of features/build quality etc. in my price range (and because I found a solid used one at a local shop willing to back it well).

I present my new pride and joy, The Canon EOS A2E, presented with my previous mainstay the Fujica STX-1. I make no excuses for the Olympus D-360L used to take them :wtc: A nice DSLR will be mine someday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I went in expecting to get something but as it turns out my parents decided to contribute to my future artistic interests and pick up the tab :bowdown: so now after making sure it works properly I have to give it back so they can box it and I can pretend to be surprised for the relatives this Christmas. Purchased with it was a new 50mm 1.8 and a used 35-105mm 4.5-5.6. The later is not a superior lens obviously but it was negotiated in for 20 odd $'s with the body so why not. A pair of UV filters rounded out the day.

Leaves me free to grab a flash, a nice case (pelican?) and maybe some more glass :x: Oh yeah and the vertial grip cause it kicks ass.

Discuss? :)

EDIT: Thought I'd add the fact that the lack of 2-stop 'gauge' in manual is a lame twist (vs the import 5) but doesn't really bother me. The eye focus (and eye-activated DOF preview) ROCK...way better than on the IIE I played with before and with only one calibration.

I assume if the command knob works this far along the line it will continue to do so? Any thoughts on that?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2003
  2. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

Did you consider the rebel?

3. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

the rebel is such a shitty camera

pick up a 24mm!

4. eighteen_psi

I considered the Rebel briefly and then realized that
    The A2E isn't new but its a far superior camera to the Elan (which is a far superior camera to the Rebel).

24mm is on the list (and I need a macro lens). Vertical grip, case and flash are first, though.

I love the eye-controlled DOF preview (among other things)

5. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

Justify

6. eighteen_psi

Well my A2E has (among plenty of other stuff):

- Top shutter speed of 1/8000 sec.
    - Flash sync of 1/200 sec.
    - "Silent" 5 fps film transport
    - TTL Zooming flash onboard
    - Multiple exposure control (9 per frame or more if you reset the counter without advancing the film)
    - A ton of custom functions (remapping buttons, winding behavior etc etc)
    - 5 spot eye-controlled focusing
    - Eye-selectable depth of field preivew (or through a menu manually)
    - Tons of accessories that no rebel can use.

I don't know which rebel you're refering to but much (most) of that, none can do (as far as I know)...no one reviews a rebel vs. a 5 'cause they're not even remotely the same class camera. Theres a few 5 vs. Elan IIE reviews floating around the intarwebnet here (and the IIE beats the rebel across the board too).