WEB new business idea...buy walmart gift cards then sell on ebay...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JesterFX, Jul 3, 2008.

1. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

:ugh: WTF. is there some kind of well known scam that involved gift cards on ebay?

I put up a walmart gift card I got for returning a couple games...

balance: $105.20
    winning bidder: $115.20

And that was a last minute "snipe" beating out the other bidders at around $115!

Are these people fucking idiots or just scammers? The guy that one paid instantly with a verified paypal account and verified shipping address that I am sending it to. Planning to send it priority with delivery confirmation just to be safe lol.

The other dude that lost out by .20 cents was emailing me asking if he could stop by, if he won, and pick up the card since he was local and it was for a gift. He would be driving by the walmart that is across the street on his way :mamoru: Maybe he just wanted to rape me?

Do people just not know you can buy gift cards at your local walmart?

Not a huge profit but I'm thinking of buying a bunch of $50 cards and throwing them up on ebay lol. Most of the cards I saw listed were all going for more than the stated balance!

cliffs: am I missing out on some clever gift card/paypal scam?

2. Rich

Rich New Member

That's almost as bad as the retards paying hundreds of dollars for empty PS3 boxes KNOWING they were just boxes.

3. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

Might as well put some up on ebay and then go buy them as necessary

4. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

yeah really. Could just put up the auctions without even having the cards then go across the steet and buy then as they sell and after getting paid lol. Could even put it as a "buy it now" for $10-15 extra to save time.

I just want to know why so many people are paying more than the face value...are people really that lazy to just go to the walmart and buy the cards? Or are they maybe just too lazy and shopping online and don't have credit card so willing to pay shipping?

Could even set up an ebay affiliate site that list your own gift card auctions and make an extra commission on the sales which would help negate the ebay/paypal fees and shipping.

Not enough profit to really make it worth it but then again if you do enough sales might be a nice little side business for someone.

5. Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish New Member

americans.jpg

6. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

goddamn dirty drunken retarded irish.

7. Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish New Member

Even when we're drunk we still wouldn't be stupid enough to buy gift cards for more than face value :ugh:

8. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

obviously this is some type of scam. they probably will claim they never received card, claim it, and receive money back :dunno:

9. Logik

Logik Livin la vida broka

wouldnt surprise me, and almost has to be.

10. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

this isn't OT main, go troll elsewhere.

11. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

Yeah, I could swear there had to be something going on. But if you look almost all the gift cards, at least walmart, are all going for more than they are worth. Even looking at past auctions...many with large amounts of feedback and everyone giving positive feedback for the transactions. I would assume at least some would be leaving feedback about any scams but didn't see any. Just amazes me. The only thing I can think of is some people just don't know you can walk in an buy gift cards at the store but hard to believe there are that many stupid people.

I still have $175 in american express gift cards to sell but doesn't look like many of those sell on there lol.

As far as the winner, I'm sending it priority with delivery confirmation so even if he does try to scam I'm covered with seller protection.

12. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

he can still try and fight that the item was not as described, saying the card was empty and not usable, and as the seller it would be hard to prove otherwise, so still be careful people love to scam on ebay

13. 96

96 Merry Christmas :D

Best thing to do, would be to get a print out from Wal-Mart with the total on it, and also the time.

Then get a receipt from the post office of when you shipped it :dunno:

14. m3s3lf

m3s3lf *Jeep Crew*

What's their feedback like? Most of the eBay scams aren't item specific... it's the same bit no matter what is for sale.

15. transistor

transistor Well-Known Member

that's not really going to prove anything :dunno: