New build won't post

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jadam, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Jadam

Jadam New Member

Haven't built a pc in a few years so everything is new. This is my first intel system and the first one I can't get working.

I have:

2gb crucial ballistix
    250gb wd hd
    msi p35 neo2-fr
    8800gt

When I tried to start the pc, it powered on and then turned off a few seconds later. Somehow, it came on and I was able to change my settings in the bios. When I started to install windows, I got an error and ever since I haven't been able to post. It just starts up and turns off in under five seconds. I checked all my connections and everything is working fine. I took out a stick of the memory but that didn't help either. I'm not sure about the pci express power connection. The board has a four pin connection that says it powers the pci express card. But the 8800gt also has it's own connection. I used the one directly on the card. Thought maybe that was the problem so I also connected the psu to the board's pcie connected. Didn't make a difference. Anyone have an idea of what I could try next? I'm totally lost

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

The one on the board won't supply enough voltage for that card. You have it right plugging the 6-pin connector directly to the card.
    And you don't want them both plugged in at the same time. It won't have killed the board, so no worries. But keep it unplugged.
    (the 4-pin one)

Did you use the factory coating of thermal paste, or did you apply stuff that you bought?

Oh yeah, what brand/wattage of psu did you get?

3. Doc Brown

One other thing, there is a 4-pin connector that is required for the cpu, that plugs in fairly close to the cpu. Make sure that's not the one you are unplugging.

The one for the pci express will be the old style 4-pin molex connector that plugs into ide hard drives.

4. Jadam

Jadam New Member

I'm using an artic freezer 7 and used the paste that it came with. My artic silver is a few years old, wasn't sure if it would still be good. I'm using a corsair hx520 psu.

I'm able to use it somewhat. Got windows installed but it's still having a lot of problems booting. It's like a car with a dying battery. I have to keep trying and trying to get it to start up. Once it's running I can reboot just fine, just can't power off without the problem happening.

I ran a program called orthos to test the stability and it came back with this:

[​IMG]

5. Doc Brown

I was helping someone in pm's recently that had purchased 4gb of ballistix and
    had to rma two of them. That sounds like what you have going on.

You might want to try to run memtest and see if you get the same results.