GUN new boomstick issues v. 870 mag tube spring

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by speeddreamz, Sep 8, 2008.

1. speeddreamz

speeddreamz OT Supporter

So, I picked up my 300 dollar 870 express, and after shooting about 15 shells of 00 buck thru it, the next 5 would not shoot. I loaded them in and cocked it, nothing. Looked into the bottom of the reciever and there was a shell hanging out in the right spot, but i could push it back. I.e. The mag tube spring was not pushing against the shells. I ended up taking the shells out and then turning it up side/shaking it and magically it worked. Any ideas? Return it?

2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

never heard of that. take the mag cap or extension off and pull the spring and follower and check for any obstructions

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Sounds like it just needs to be broken in to me. Hoss' 870 did that once or twice first couple of times it hit the range. If it REALLY bothers you waiting for it to wear smooth, maybe drop some CLP in the tube :dunno:

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

a couple things to check...

Not sure which extension you have, guessing it is the factory +2.
    When you screw on the extension you need to release the spring tension. What I mean is as you screw in the extension if the spring is turning with the extension it coils up. This is not good. The better aftermarket extension hace a seperate threaded cap at the end of the extension, or a free floating cap that spins independently. When you screw in the extension you have to kind of listen to hear if the spring is winding and kinking inside. Go slow and jiggle the shotgun as you screw the extension in. Then you get down to the last few turns kind of screw it in back and forth and don't tighten it down snug until you get the spring right.

You can tell if the spring kinked as the next time you pull the spring out it is not strait. It's got a bend in it. People tell me this is still fine, I change springs when this happens, but I'm a nut job.

Second thing to check is that you got the proper lenght spring, that it is not too short. If it's a spring and both ends that are cut so it's not a flat coil but it's got two points then I like to doctor the ends. I take some pliars and put a slight bend in one end so that the points do not dig into the tube cap or the follower.

I also replace the follower with the vang comp follower as I think it's better.

5. speeddreamz

speeddreamz OT Supporter

ya factory +2