New Black Car, two choices. What would you do?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by tekknikal, Apr 21, 2004.

?

Buy now for less or wait and pay for perfection?

1. Now for less

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Later for more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tekknikal

tekknikal Nothing's ever been better than that

So I'm buying a $35k black car and am leaving the states with it and have two choices:
    1. wait 3-4 weeks on an ordered car that will not be dealer washed and will have 10miles on it, and pay $2-3k in importing fees.
    2. buy a car on the lot now, that has been there for one or two weeks, has between 15-20miles on it, may have been dealer washed (assume it has), but would cost $2-3k less for the same config because "the man" would pay import fees for you.

What would you do?

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I would check out the one on the lot and see what kind of shape the paint is in. If it's just swirls, you'll be all set. Just remove them.

3. GSRstilez

GSRstilez New Member

Agreed!

Take some pics for us. You can pretty much tell by pics if the swirls are removable easily. More likely than not, the paint will be completely fixable.

What kind of car, btw?

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I agree with the others.

5. tekknikal

thanks guys.
    actually i just got the best of both worlds,
    ill be able to get my car sooner and itll be coming in straight to the dealership from the factory.
    the car is a g35 coupe
    im picking it up in a week, cant wait :)

i talked to the salesman. he said that the car is normally detailed, and that the detailer was the best in the business :)ugh: im sure on that :dunno: who they use though) . the dealership is well trusted online for outstanding service, etc, but according to whats said here i shouldnt let him touch it. he says that the car comes in really dirty -its been on the train, sitting at the port, and on the boat for the last month or two..and that he understands my concern about swirls since he has a black sedan, and that the detailer(s?) do a really good job and know what theyre doing.
    should i trust him? or not?
    btw, after purchase i have to drive the car down from dallas to where i am now in houston.
    how hard would swirls be to get out for someone like me who doesnt know much about detailing? (im still learning about this stuff)
    if i dont let him detail it, then if the car is really dirty, it would make an inspection difficult, no? ie suppose there are fine scratches to the car. i would be disapointed in a few swirls, but id be pissed if there were something really wrong with the car's paint.

another thing to consider is that right after i get it (within a week) i am driving it from houston to miami. do you guys think a nose mask is worth $100 for this one drive? or could i just give it a good wash/wax/??? and just keep washing it after every day of driving (~6-8hrs)? the mask will never be used again, the car is going to the caribbean after miami.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Do not let them polish or wax it. Let them wash it so you can inspect it only. You do not want them hitting it with a rotary and a wool pad and leaving buffer holograms in the paint. If the dealer is Don Davis, no way would I let them touch my car. I see a ton of their cars with buffer swirls.

I live in Arlington, if you want and my schedule permits, I could look the car over for you. Maybe even have time to polish and wax it. :dunno:

If you really want to protect the front end, 3M makes clear bras that are permanently affixed to the car. They run about $300 installed but you can barely see them and only real close up. They cover the whole front end and usually the front of the side mirrors too.

7. tekknikal

OK ill let them know. the dealer isnt don davis, ill think about your offer, check your PMs.

Do you think the normal bra will be necessary for the drive? I don't want a clear bra because I hear they arent easy to remove and install and I've heard bad things about them being on black cars. Plus my car is going to a place where i dont think anyone will be able to service the clear bra if i need it removed or replaced.