MMA new bjj/gracie barra rules...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by adrenalin112, Sep 7, 2007.

1. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

I heard mention that there were new gracie barra rules and my instructor has been emphasizing new codes on conduct when class starts and ends.

We used to all line up across the wall with highest belt ranks on left then proceeding lower to the right.
    Now we have rows of each color. Purples in the front row, then blues, then whites, with stripes determining where you fall within your own color row.

And the other thing is that when youre lining up and you need to fix your gi and adjust your belt, you're supposed to turn around and face the opposite way while you make the adjustments. Weird, but I don't mind the tradition.

2. Titus

Titus New Member

thats fucking stupid, i never understand stupid stuff like that and think they're just a waste of time. i'm not paying for to line up like i'm in 1st grade, i'm paying to roll and learn technique.

3. Optamix

Optamix New Member

yep

We line up according to who gets to the front first. Generally I let the higher ranked guys up front..but its really no big deal and I've been at the front before.

We just line up because thats when all the important announcements are made.

4. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

gi's are fucking gay, i don't wear a gi ever in life so why the fuck roll with one, it makes no sense, we don't live in 16th century japan so fuck the gi shit lets roll with sweaty man meat on sweaty man meat with no cheap ass gi assisted chokes etc, and sure as hell without the gay lining up to have a gi inspection

5. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i like the gi :)

but yeah, we dont have it quite as traditional that way.. carlson schools are pretty chilled out.

6. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

7. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

Actually it really bugged me that he just had us warm up and roll last night without covering any technique. Good thing I came early to watch the kids class. Every class always has a few different fine details.

8. Titus

Titus New Member

i understand the gi and like them, they make throwing so much more fun. it's the stupid "tradition" shit some schools like to throw in that are just a waste of time to me.

9. Titus

Titus New Member

that's not bad, just rolling is fun too. gives you time to refine what you already know and work on techniques you've learned before.

10. MyLittleAirport

God forbid a MARTIAL ART having some traditional values and/or practices :ugh:

11. Rob H

Rob H New Member

we are somewhat laid back at my school, we still line up along one wall from highest to lowest rank and bow to the instructor at the beginning and end of class, but that's about it.

one change though is we now have a strict schedule from Carlos Gracie that we now are to follow on what is being taught to us for the next 16 weeks.

12. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

Just rolling is what Saturday open mats are for, I want to learn a new technique everyday.

13. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

wait until you realize learning a new technique isn't going to solve your problems.

14. Titus

Titus New Member

. drilling the basics and being able to transition well is where it's at. a new move all the time isn't what you need. it's the same thing as wrestling, you have to drill drill drill the basics and just practice them a ton. knowing 11384387 new moves means nothing if you can't apply them practically

15. MyLittleAirport

The way our school does it is that for the technique classes, we will drill the same 1-3 techniques for a hour for the whole week. So that if someone missed out on Monday, then they won't miss out if they go the next day. It also helps the people that have already learned it by getting their body memory into motion.

We have randori usually after those technique hours so we still roll at the same time.

16. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

I'm not asking for a whole new move/technique. I'm just asking for a short session of drill and teaching. It was a warmup and then a full hour of rolling. Just spend like 15minutes expanding upon what was taught in the week. Not every move/technique works the same way for all body types. There may be other transitions available the could have been realized and the reps never hurt.

17. kroneX

kroneX New Member

i go to a gracie barra school and i havnt heard about this o_O

18. Dopethrone

Dopethrone New Member

No Gi FTW

19. kroneX

kroneX New Member

i havnt heard anything of these rules and either have my instructors...

imo bjj would never go that traditional at all. if it did id be mighty suprised