GUN New assault rifle to replace m-16

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by tbird420, Jul 25, 2004.

1. tbird420

tbird420 Guest

I know it's been out for a while, but this is the first i've read about it online...i think the modular design is awesome, and the fact you dont have to clean it as much earns a lot of points in my book :bigthumb: cleaning an m-16 sucks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The U.S. Army is happy with the initial field testing of it's new M-8 (or XM-8) Assault Rifle. One of the major design features of the M-8 that makes it superior to the M-16 is the way it handles propellant gasses. The M-16 has these gasses going into the receiver, depositing layers of crud from propellant that did not completely burn. The M-8 keeps the propellant gasses out of the receiver and this reduces the cleaning time by about 70 percent. The troops appreciate this. More importantly, the reduced amount of crud in the receiver greatly increases reliability (far fewer rounds getting stuck.) In fact, the M-8 is designed to fire 15,000 rounds without cleaning or lubrication, even in a dirty (like a desert) environment. Troops are not allowed to let their weapons go like that, but this degree of reliability makes it less likely that rifles won't jam in a sandstorm or after getting dropped in the mud. The M-8 barrel and receiver is also of more sturdy construction, making it less likely that the user will get injured if there's something in the barrel when a round is fired. This is not unusual in combat. All you have to do is accidentally jam the barrel into the dirt while hitting the ground or otherwise avoiding enemy fire, and then have to return fire. On an M-16, this can often cause the rifle to, well, blow up in your face. This unfortunate event is much less likely with the M-8. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The M-8 comes with a battery powered sight that includes a red-dot, close-combat capability, plus infrared laser aimer and laser illuminator with a backup etched reticule. The sights on the M-8, similar to those which have been showing up on M-16s over the past decade, make it much easier to hit something. The M-8 is better designed for "ease of use" and support troops who don't handle their weapons frequently will find that they can more easily hit something with an M-8. Tests, using people who have not handled a rifle frequently, have demonstrated this. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Because the attachment points for rail mounted devices are built into the M-8, the sight can be factory zeroed. The M-16, because it has rail mounting hardware mounted on it, requires frequent re-zeroing in the field. This is a feature very much appreciated by the troops. The attachment points allow additional sighting devices to be quickly added to the weapon. A new 40mm, single shot grenade launcher (the M320) will be available for the M-8 and can be quickly installed by troops, without special tools. The M-8 is designed for easy left or right handed operation. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Testing will increase, as more M-8s are available, and the plan is that by early 2007, the first of over a million M-8s will begin distribution to all troops in active and reserve army units. One thing that may slow this down is the army research on the use of a new caliber (6.8mm). The new bullet has shown to have better accuracy and stopping power. While troops would be carrying less ammo with the larger round (25 rounds in the current 30 round magazine), they would require fewer shots to take down enemy troops. American troops today are much better trained in the use of their rifles than they were four decades ago. Automatic fire is not often used, with accurate, individual shots being the norm. The M-8 rifle, and possibly a new caliber, are a reflection of that. [/font]

2. shohan

shohan New Member

Just because they say "it doesn't have to be cleaned" doesn't mean that in won't. Come on if you've been in the military you know better then that. It's definately interesting, but I don't like the fact that you don't have any open sights. Having that optic is just asking for it to be broken. It will be a long time before the Marine Corps will put that into service, IMO.

3. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

I dont like the way it looks. :sad2: Looks like a toy

I think Want2Race is already using these rifles.

4. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

That drum magazine is destined to fail. They are a piece of shit.

Battery powered scope, hope it doesn't run out when you need it.

Other than that, I'd pimp it

5. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Yeah.... electronics in guns... :ugh2: So now we have to supply troops with ammo and batteries. Let's just hope the troops carrying these don't ever get cut off. They'd be fucked with no sights.

6. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

The baseline carbine has a 12.5" barrel. :ugh: way too short.

7. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Wonder how the redesigned handguard is working out, what with the old one melting during firing and all.

Once they slap on some 1913 standard rails, it might not be too bad. But if it drives HK's piston AR upper out of production, heads will roll. :squint:

8. Vatoloco

Vatoloco In a pinch, though, you could jam it into someone'

I can agree with most of what's been said, but especially this:
    I can't stand cleaning my AR-15, especially after doing an AK-47. The AK is so simple and even though I've usually shot 3x the amount of ammo out of it compared to the AR-15, it is still less gunked up inside.

As far as the XM8 it does look like a space gun, but I guess what's important is application and performance. If they can prove it to work well, the looks can grow on you.

9. KiddX

KiddX Tigth as Piston In Ferrari Engine!

anyone else feel like playing through half-life when they see this?

10. shohan

shohan New Member

No, but I would feel like Master Cheif if I had that. Running around Halo shooting up the Covenant!

11. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Does that mean they reworked the gas cylinder, or that it's a simple blowback-operated rifle?

12. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

uses a gas piston design.

13. KiddX

lol, anyone getting flashbacks of the gun from "the fifth element"?

14. user32

user32 Guest

definately has the space gun look going for it...

15. ozwald

ozwald OT Supporter

this gun doesnt do anything the m16 doesnt do. iirc their are piston uppers for the m16

16. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

Yep. :rofl:

17. kill_turu_kill

kill_turu_kill Turu the Terrible OT Supporter

I was leaning more towards "Super Soaker"

18. i300zxtt

i300zxtt New Member

The marine corps needs the Pulse Rifle from Aliens....

19. KiddX

:bowdown:

20. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I read some stuff about those rifles. It was actually a Thompson with an underslung Remington 870 and some SPAS-12 furniture.

:bigthumb:

21. Nazareth_JA

Nazareth_JA Guest

if i wer to replace my AR15 i would get another ar15 or a H&K G3

22. user32

user32 Guest

The HK G3 is pretty bad looking. I have heard that they don't have a lot of the problems of the AR family.

23. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

What are the problems of the AR family?

24. user32

user32 Guest

ARs are supposedly prone to malfunction when they are dirty. Soldiers in Afganistan and Iraq are reporting having to clean their rifles almost continuously.

I myself have a Bushmaster A2 shorty and have not had any problems, however I am not camped out in some foxhole in the desert either.

25. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

soldiers in iraq aren't having many problems with their rifles. you're hearing crap from old schoolers who don't like anything except their old garands and 1911's. these are the people that say that glocks and M16's are the devil, and they never work.