GUN New AR, Stag Arms Model 6L Super Varminter

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Hathegkla, May 31, 2008.

1. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

[​IMG]

just picked this up yesterday, I'll probably take it to the range tomorrow to scope it in. so far its pretty fucking cool but I'll hold of on my opinion till I actually shoot it. Stag Arms claims it gets .5moa with good ammo so I'm pretty excited to try it out.

so any advice on mounting the scope? I've got it on in a comfortable position but its just finger tight and I haven't put any blue loctite on the rings yet. I'm just wondering about getting the cross hairs level, I eyeballed it pretty good using a vertical beam in my house as a reference but should I try and get it in a vice and use a level or does it not matter so much? I've never mounted anything other than a bb gun scope so any advice would be welcome.

2. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

i dont have any advice for the mounting.. but im dying to find out how it shoots. I was looking into getting one of those... lefty model as well. Keep us updated and post up some more pics!

3. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

How is the eye relief?

4. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (T-mobile Dash: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) T-Mobile Dash)

that's the one in last month's guns and ammo isn't it? looks like it should shoot pretty well according to their review.

5. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

6. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

7. spdrcr

spdrcr OT Supporter

Where'd you pick that up Hathegkla?

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

To me it looks like the scope is way to far back, but it might just have a super short eye relief. To save some ammo I would boresight it first. Here is the cheapo way to do it but it works pretty well. Take off your upper and find a suitable target 30 -50 yards away. Place the upper on something reasonably solid like some sandbags or bags of rice. Try to lock the upper down sort of so it doesn't move much. Look through the receiver and through the barrel at the target (look from the back and out the muzzle. Now without moving the upper look through the scope and adjust until your on target with what you see through the barrel.

When you get all crazy like me you do all sorts of stuff to level your scope, true your rings, bore sight your rifle with fancy gadgets, and torque all your bolts, etc.

For more common folks you can get away pretty well by putting a little blue loctite on the bolts (I mean a little), then turning all the bolts the same number of turns. Get them tight but not crushed. After 100 rounds check their tightness again then leave it alone.

Also break in your barrel before you shoot it for groups. There are lots of ways to do this from simple to extreme. For most folks you can get away with firing one shot, then running a wet patch through the barrel. Then fire two shots, then one wet patch, 3 then 1, 4 then 1, 5 then 1 and your done.

9. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

so I did end up bore sighting it. worked pretty well. it got it within 3 inches at 20 yards. it shoots great. I was getting 1 inch groups at 100 yards but I could have got better if I had actually sighted it in better and could hold the thing steady.
    I moved teh scope a bit but it seems pretty good now. the only real problem is a jammed like crazy, could be a bad extractor or it could just need to be broken in. I cleaned it and lubed the crap out of it, if it doesn't work well next weekend I'm gonna send it back.

spdrcr: I got it from Lan World Inc http://www.lanworldinc.com/ar15.html