GUN New AR Manufacturer... Opinions?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by phrozenlikwid, Aug 11, 2008.

1. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Found a new AR manufacturer today. VERY different from what you typically see, and some interesting ideas being shown IMO. Without further ado:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Firebird Firearms is the name of the company. Supposedly the guy running it knows his shit. Seems to be marketed towards the 3gun guys. These pictures are supposedly just prototypes, and there have been some cosmetic updates for production line stuff (though I haven't seen them).

Thought/Opinions?

Oh........ Almost forgot. $539.00 if you buy one now from the first shipment, $675 if you wait. Add $20 for shipping, of course (lol).

2. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

why the hell is it so beefy?
    looks like ass.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Seems like extra weight and extra expense with no benefit. Do 3 gun guys use a mag well hold? I didn't think they genereally did.

4. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

If you're going to machine a lower from aluminum, that's the way to go, I suppose. Far fewer setups than cncguns.com went through.

5. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

shit,thats alot of monies

6. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

No need for it to be that beefy, or anywhere near that expensive. Pass.

7. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

$539 for the lower alone? :rofl:

8. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

If I was a fucking millionaire maybe.

9. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

Looks like they've priced themselves right out of the market.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Saw some posts on this on brian enos. Looks like a lot of work went into it so I'm not going to bad mouth it too much. Don't care for the finger gooves, also thing I don't need the added weight of something this over built.

Would of liked to see the magwell from the bottom. If the magwell had a deep funnel to help guide mags in it would be really cool. I also like how the lower mates so nice with the upper. On the upper I would like to see left side charging handle, right side shell deflector, and no forward assist, or cut out for rear charging handle. Add a lightened side charging bolt and you would have a winner.

11. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

Damn nga... you want fries with that too?

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

My intentions certainly wasn't to dog it. I saw it, and honestly found it rather interesting, as it is such a divergence from the norm. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a huge AR guy, so I was curious to what AR guys had to say about it.

I tried looking for some more info at BE, but it doesn't seem like the designer has really provided much in the way of specs. I too was curious about the magwell, as well as the weight and some other things. Would also like to see the "updated" version that he alluded to. The reputation of the guy building them must be exceptional, as he already seemed to have several people lined up willing to pay for the product.

As for myself..... I personally wouldn't be interested in it. I can like the magwell, but that's about it. I wouldn't care for the extra weight, nor the bulk of the receiver. Personally, I'm not convinced that making the AR upper/lower this "strong" makes any sort of difference anyways. I've never failed an AR receiver, nor knew anyone personally who had. As far as accuracy, the juries still out. I've always banked on using high quality barrels, and a decent smith if I was looking for a precision AR - not upper/lower craziness.

I just thought the innovation was cool myself. Not sure about the technical merits, but hopefully some guys who shoot a lot will get ahold of them and tell us what's up.

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Have you seen the Hy-Tech uppers? They seem fairly close to what you are wanting.

I've been eyeing one of these for a while for a 9mm build. I think they look pretty good myself.

EDIT - forgot link

http://www.vmhytech.com/tactical4.html

14. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Definitely different but the added weight and cost might be a dealbreaker for many

15. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

When can we be expecting Thomor's 80% receivers to make it to production? :hsugh:

16. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

I like the finger grooves. My initial response was to say "whoa" and then think to myself "beefy"