New Alpine deck too loud!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by duff, Nov 19, 2003.

1. duff

duff what's the score here?

just got a new CD deck (Alpine CDA-9807) to replace my stock tape deck in my 94 Pathfinder. The volume levels range from 0 (off) to 35.
    3 is loud enough for normal listening. By the time I reach 6, it sounds like my (stock) speakers are going to shred soon.

Another way of looking at this issue is that the difference between volume settings is too drastic... probably at least 5 decibels. That doesn't seem right.

I'm new to car audio. Is this a common problem? What can I do to fix it? It seems too drastic to be a speaker sensitivity issue.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
  2. beef316

beef316 New Member

Does your vehicle have an aftermarket amp? If it does, it may be trying to amplify the signal from your new head unit. The new head is alot more powerful than stock head causing the higher volume. I'm not sure if this is the case, but if it is, you need to find the amp and bypass it. This could be a pain in the ass. Good luck.

If its not that, you may just have a realy powerful head unit.

3. duff

Besides this new CD head unit, there are no other audio modifications to the Pathfinder that I know of.

If an aftermarket amp is simply what I think it is... I think I would notice it! ;)

4. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I have that same deck and I love it, it is louder than my old Clarion CD player, but I also have two external amps, that I did have to gain down. My suggestion is to get some new speakers, then an amp, you will be very happy. Oh yeah, make sure the media expander is off, this causes the bass and treble to be boosted at low vol. levels.

5. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

dont a lot of pathfinders have factory amps?

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

sounds like you have a factory amp in there some where hunt it donw and rip it out

7. duff

Yeah turns out there's a factory amp under the seat. I never suspected that would be the case, espeically given that the speaker outs from the alpine are the same ones that went to the amp from the old unit... I would have expected a different set of pre-outs. This whole car audio thing is needlessly complex. :slap:

8. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

Bose or no?

We had some stuff by PAC that would tie into those amped systems and let you adjust the level of sound out of the deck and into the factory amp.

#1 would be to get new speakers and rewire.

9. duff

No bose. Thankfully.

I'm going to skip the speakers for now. The car is getting old and I may not have it too much longer. I'll take the deck with me to the next car and then upgrade speakers in that one... whatever/whenever that is.

I'm just going to bypass the factory amp with some splicing. Actually I'm having someone else do it as I am lazy.

10. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

You won't see RCA outs on the unit of a factory system (none that i know of anyways)...that's probably why you didn't expect it...

you could always get some cheap coax's even if you're gonna get rid of your car....

11. JohnAG

JohnAG OT Supporter

Whats the easiest way to bybass a factory amp? Is there anyway you could just cut the power cable and just use the amp to trasmit the signal? I've got a 97 pathfinder and have the same problem...

12. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

just run new wire to the speakers guys...

just catch them at the door boots.