New 6600gt locks up and reboots comp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SHIFT_blue, Dec 28, 2005.

1. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

Sup guys.

I just bought a 6600gt (agp). It completely locks my system up whenever something like a flash animation on a website comes up, I try to open a video, or if I try to open a game.

Ive tried the drivers it came with on cd, newest forceware from the nvidia site, beta drivers from nvidia, updated my mobo drivers, and I tried to see if it would work without the power cable plugged into the card.

Everything resulted in exactly the same thing happening.

I did do a clean uninstall and used driver cleaner pro to rid whatever else was left before installing different drivers each time.

Anyone got any insight on the situation?

Heres some system specs.
    Athlon xp 2500+
    768mb of ram (forgot the brand)
    FIC mobo with VIA KM400 chipset
    SB Audigy 2

Any help is appreciated, thanks. Im about to return the card.

2. geoffnotjeff

geoffnotjeff Yeah, im looking at ya OT Supporter

how much power are you hitting it with? 200 wont work. You need 400-500.

3. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

I was thinking that its not a power issue since it does it without the power cable plugged in too. I even unplugged my cd-rom, dvd-rom, and floppy and there was still no difference.

I currently have a 300watt PS. I dont want to go fork out for a new PS if thats not definetly the prob.

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Uh, will that card work properly without the aux. power? I didn't think that was 'optional'.

I'd guess power or temp from the way it is acting. Download nTune from nvidia and check the temp of the GPU. Could also be a bad card but that would be suprising.

nTune: http://www.nvidia.com/object/sysutility.html

edit: 300w is really pushing it these days. Also, the CD/DVD/Floppy don't pull much power when they aren't spinning. How many hard drives do you have installed? What about USB/Firewire devices plugged in?

5. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

When I run it with the power unplugged it gives a pop up at start up saying its lowered the performance of the card due to there not being enough power.

I only have 1 HD and no other devices plugged in.

6. Kuwi

Kuwi Active Member

its problably the PSU I had the same problem with my 9600 xt, I got a new PSU and it fixed the problem.

7. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Get a new PSU...

8. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

Went out and got a 550 watt PSU with 20 amps on the +12v rail.

Still exactly the same problem.....

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Did you download ntune and check the GPU temp?

10. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

No but I wasnt thinking it was a heat issue since right after it boots I can immediatly try to open a video and it just locks and reboots.

Ive been reading on the VIA and Nvidia forums. It seems the Nvidia drivers and the VIA chipset dont like eachother. Theres a lot of people having problems with 6600-6800 GT's with VIA chipsets. The majority of these people have had no success other then buying a new mobo. Which is what Im going to do.

Thing is it seems like no one carries good socket A mobos anymore. Theyre hard enough to find as it is now, but when I do find them they are low end mobo's (yea yea socket A isnt high end anymore, you know what I mean).

11. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Video cards overheat when the GPU is being used, so you would expect it to act normally until it is being used for video or 3D. I just had fun with this while OC'ing my ATI.

Yea, the Socket A market has all but dried up in the last 6 months. Sucks. I wanted to upgrade one of my older machines and I can't find a decent board either.