new 50"plasm problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ChaosTheory, Dec 30, 2007.

1. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

well my family just purchased a 50" samsung plasma 1080p tv. the model is fp-t5084. anyways when watching tv using the digital cable the picture looks like shit imo. it is not very sharp and seems more blurry than normal. while watching a dvd last night we all noticed that peoples faces seemed to get blurry if they moved quickly and the same problem happens with regular cable. they guy they talked to at the store said they can get a special hd cable box through charter to make the picture look better but im not sure if that will improve the quality on normal channels. my xbox 360 looks amazing on there though and i havent noticed any of the blurring on it.

my guess is maybe we need better cables connecting to the tv instead of composite cables and just regular cable. either that or some settings in the tv need to be changed. would the burn protection be causing the problem because it says it shifts the pixels but idk if it would affect it. im new to the hdtv thing so help is greatly appreciated. thanks

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

A couple things to check:

If using a digital box upgrade to an hd box. It won't really clear up your basic channels, but it'll give you HD...and why have an HDTV without HD cable.

The dvd player needs to be setup properly. Go into the setup menu and make sure you have the display set as 16x9...not 4x3. Also, use component video out..the red blue and green cables for video...and set the dvd player to progressive scan in the setup menu. This will improve the picture. Or you can upgrade the dvd player to something newer that upscales the image.

Also, make sure the tv is not in the dynamic picture mode....put it in standard and back the contrast off...or better yet, cinema/movie mode. The dynamic modes is what all tvs are in when they come from the factory...it makes the picture looks shitty aswell.

3. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

you have a 50" plasma but no HD cable or HD DVD/Bluray?

4. ~JustPlainLucas

~JustPlainLucas New Member

5. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

alright ill try those. and yes no hd dvd player or nothing and barely any hd channels. we dont really buy any movies and cant rent any hd ones around here. but i dont really care because teh 360 looks amazing on there. COD 4 :bowdown:

6. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

i tried those and it looks a little better. but it still seems to look worse than a standard tv for normal cable. is that just because the bigger screen shows the flaws easier or what. and is there any way to get rid of the letterbox shit on widescreen dvd's. wtf is the point of buying a widescreen tv if they still show up?

7. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

some widescreen dvds will still have the black bars.
    It depend on what aspect ratio it is.
    This will help answer alot of questions
    http://www.highdefinitionblog.com/Pages/DVDPictures.htm

8. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

HD displays will look worse on regular cable than sd sets....simply b/c of resolution. Cable is 480 lines and so is an sd set....vs an hd set is anywhere from 720 lines to 1080. The tv has to adjust the image to it's native resolution which causes the image to not look so great.

9. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

thanks that link helps alot.

10. Zeromancer

welcome :)

11. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

alright we got the new hd cable box and everything still looks like shit except the 360. since it has hdmi and cable hooked to the tv we can view both of them but they still look like crap. the input with the regular cable looks really blurry everywhere. the hdmi looks better because it automatically views each channel how its supposed to when we set it to 16:9 unlike the regular cable input. however it still doesnt seem to be as clear as it should. it also looks like the sharpness is set too high because the edges look pixelated but i reduced the sharpness and it doesnt help at all. idk if theres other settings to change or what. it still looks worse than a standard tv does with normal channels. even the hd channels don't look that great. the quality is even worse than when a play a standard dvd on the 360 and theres very little difference between the hd and standard channels.

12. Zeromancer

I know on my Panny 42" plasma I had to set the sharpness to -14 for it to look good.

13. Zeromancer

14. Zeromancer

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=845512&page=40
    "Hey guys, I just bought the FP-T5084 a couple of days ago and i'm still breaking it in - My first plasma!! [​IMG].

i currently have the sharpness, contrast and brightness really low and my television is definitely not calibrated, but I still decided to have some fun with it during this period.

I currently have:
    Xbox 360 Elite Via HDMI
    Chipped Xbox with Media Center via Component cables
    Viewsat satellite receiver plugged in via Composite
    Wii plugged in via Composite
    My PC plugged in via HDMI/Dvi

The xbox 360 looks beautiful on the TV, it's smooth and consistent.

My original Xbox running the media center looks sharp and clear. I also have a little news ticker running on the bottom, although it moves extremely slow, there is not juddering and it's very smooth. Going through the directories and selecting files though freezes for a split second (this did not happen with my previous tube tv)

The viewsat receiver plays ok, a little blurry at times (i'm upgrading to component cables soon)

My wii is also a little blurry.

My pc is where a lot of the testing was done, I downloaded Sampled Blu-Ray videos at 720p (my pc doesn't play 1080p that well). I had 30 seconds clips of:
    Star Wars episode 1
    Harry potter (the goblet one)
    5th Element
    Terminator 2
    Terminator 3

these videos looked ****ing awesome! Mind you i'm a High def virgin and I have nothing to compare it too, but I can just imagine once my TV is calibrated what it will look like.

The only complaint I had was that the black wasn't BLACK, it had a greyish tone and from what I read plasmas are famous for having deep blacks. Keep in mind though this tv is not calibrated and hopefully this will change.

One other problem I had was with my screensaver, on my normal 23inch lcd, different pictures from my library would smoothly slide around the monitor from different angles. On the 5084, the pictures would not come on so smoothly, it would judder.

Overall I love the TV to death for high definition stuff.
    Any SD stuff though is a little hard to watch, they seem blurry. This ranges from the tv shows streamed on my media center, my wii and my satellite receiver. Hopefully when I calibrate the TV properly things will look clearer.

The juddering of the pics is not a big deal, everything else was really smooth, including the news ticker scrolling on the bottom. I just hope i'll see those blacker then black everyone talks about with a plasma TV."

15. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

fuck. ya i have the same exact problem as the other guys. is it just this model tv or what? is it just a defect in some of them it didnt really say in the link. idk if we would be able to return it, especially since my stepdad just broke down the boxes the other day and got rid of them. he insists the tv's just fine and theres nothing wrong with it. but it definately looks horrible.

16. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory New Member

with the hdmi cable it looks blurry everywhere just like the cable input but the faces don't seem to blur nearly as much but the edges are still really pixelated.

17. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

Return that shit.