MIL New 120mm round for the M1 Abrams

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ghostrider4450, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Wow so I wouldnt want to be an insurgent on the recieving end of one of these.

[​IMG]

Story:
    June 24 brought another milestone to the M1028 Integrated Product Team when it achieved type classification standard of the canister round.
    The achievement follows closely their urgent release action, with rounds from early lots already headed to where they will do the most good.
    The earlier significant accomplishment happened in 2004 when the IPT successfully reached its milestone C, Type Classification for Low Rate Production Review, and the recommendation for urgent release to deployed forces by the Materiel Release Acceptance Board.
    The 120mm M1028 Canister, formerly the XM1028, product and core team were honored recently as being one of the top 10 Army inventions of 2004.
    By Dec. 7, the M1028 documentation and performance had been reviewed by the staff of the Program Executive Officer for Ammunition. Then, the program’s executive officer, Brig. Gen. Paul S. Izzo, was briefed by Frank Altamura, the Office of the Project Manager Maneuver Ammunition System’s item manager, and key staff. Izzo then signed the milestone decision authority documentation, which granted authority for the program to move forward into low-rate initial production.
    Shortly after milestone C was approved, two urgent fielding requests were received by OPM-MAS in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. One request came from the Marine Corps. The second request came from Coalition Forces Land Component Command. The Coalition Forces UFR, approved by the G-3, was processed to respond to a request from the 1st Cavalry Division that was deployed to Iraq. The entire low-rate initial production lot is going to Iraq to support the current conflict.
    Altamura said that in order to meet the urgent fielding requirement, “We were fortunate to have several existing components tested and available from other 120mm family of cartridges. The primer train, combustible cartridge case and reclaimed propellant all went ‘into the mix.’

Source:http://www.rdecom.army.mil/rdemagazine/200508/index.html

Has anyone here had a chance to see this round being fired in the common URBAN enviroment in Iraq?

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Whats the effective range?

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Canister FTW

:bowdown: :bowdown: :eek3: :bowdown:

4. Ranger-AO

Probably not very far. You wouldn't use this round to take out a tank a kilometer away.

5. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

QFT. Its designed much like a shotgun with buckshot. Im assuming they use it for close in fighting. Probably can shoot right through thin walls and stuff. :eek4:

On a side note, this would be excellent at taking out lightly armored and non armored vehicles. ESPECIALLY VBIEDs.

6. Ranger-AO

crowd control x11tybillion :run:

7. Ranger-AO

:werd:

I imagine what it would be like in the old times, when the officer would yell to the men manning the cannons, "LOAD CANNISTER!"

They would be thinking two things:
    • "It's about fucking time, because the enemy is about to overrun us!" :hyper:
    • and "This battlefield is about to become a helluva lot more soggy." :hsd:

8. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

Exactly what it's for, that and banging off down streets and alleys, much easier than coax or a normal main gun round, more effective too. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's pics of the result on a cinder block wall as well, if I can dig up the pdf file I saw I'll post it.

9. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

10. Ranger-AO

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

A claymore on a stick... jesus.

12. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

A flying stick :eek5:

13. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

Funny you should mention that, DSTO is working on a little robot with a couple of claymores mounted on top.

Find cover, send out rover and clear the street with ease. :coolugh: