New 12" iBook or Refurb. 12" PB?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Harry V. Gina, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

I've decided that I need an inexspensive backup machine in case something goes wrong with my 15" PB. I'd also like to have the extra portability for travelling that a 12" machine provides.

I'm debating on whether to go with one of the new 12" iBooks for $1000, which seem to be an excellent value, or to get a refurb 12" PB for $1,300, which is a bit lighter and slimmer, but doesn't really have anything else that I need.

I'm kind of leaning towards the iBook since it seems to be a better value, and frankly, has everything that I need. Does anyone have a compelling reason to go with the PB other than the fact that it is sexier?

2. Inferno

Inferno New Member

Definatly the iBook.

3. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

:werd:

4. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

All it has is a faster hard drive, able to dual screen w/o any hacks, and more vram. Some problems from pb owners are that the keyboard feels weird and such, so if you can get used to that, and don't mind trading some looks for money, i guess ibook would be better. The nice thing about the refurbs is tho, sometimes there are instances where apple "messes up" and gives you more than what you had wished for. I've herd some stories of this, but its not all to frequent anyhow.

5. micks

micks the snausage wallet OT Supporter

I just bought the new 12" powerbook, love it. Why would you want a refurbished one though?