GUN new 10/22

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nkudahc, Dec 21, 2009.

1. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

picked up a little christmas present for myself today. could use some ideas on ways to mount a sling to it. i know i need to get one of the screw in mounts for the back. is there something that would attach to the bottom of the barrel band or do i need to get a mount that screws in for the front also?

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/rimfire/

i was thinking about picking up this for the scope once they are back in stock at the gunshop i go to. any reason not to go with it? the purpose will just be target shooting. i wanted something rather cheap to shoot and i'd like to learn to shoot with a socpe since that is something i have not done before.

2. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

3. fatmoocow

Then once you decide to go insane you should head over to rimfirecentral.com and read that.

4. fatmoocow

5. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

awesome, that looks like exactly what i need. now all i need to find is a sling. any one know if tht sells stuff like this?

6. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Unfortunately, I can't get most rimfire stuff but if you list what you're looking for, I'll let you know for sure what I can get and what I can't.

7. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

8. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Sling swivel is out of stock and I can't give much of a discount.

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I remember you being local... but I don't recall where you are living. Regardless.... Wal-Mart will likely have the studs and attachments you need. They are 9.87 if memory serves me correct (I just bought some this weekend). Remember to drill a pilot hole before you thread in the stud.

As for a cheap sling, they will probably have that too. If you are just wanting something to carry the gun with, I prefer a neoprene strap. If you are wanting to use the sling as an accuracy aid, you need something completely different than what you will find there.

I don't know what gun stores you frequent, but I haven't found one that has dick for 10/22 stuff. I'm going to be offloading a bunch of 10/22 shit here in a bit, so if you are wanting to upgrade holler at me and I'll hook you up so I don't have to fuck with shipping.

10. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

worth a try anyway. thanks

11. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

sounds great phrozen. you're right about the gun shops not having anything around here. i mostly go to shooters since they are about 5 minutes from me and the guys there always seem very helpful. i'm sure i'll be looking to pick up some parts sooner or later.

am i wrong or is neoprene stretchy? i would think i would want leather or nylon so i could use it to stablize my aim a little but then agian i'm new to shooting anything with a scope so i could be all wrong about that?

i thought i might try bass pro shops after christmas since i work up that way a couple days a week.

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Yeah, neoprene won't work if you are trying to sling up and shoot. Like you were thinking, it's not stiff enough. If you are wanting a shooting aid, a leather 1917 sling is probably want you want. My sling game is weak, so I'm not the one to be preaching there. If you really wanna work on that, go talk to some of the High-Power guys up at Miami Fish and Gun. They will set your mind straight in a heartbeat.

For 10/22 stuff, the internets are your friend. Truthfully.... most of the gunstores around here kinda suck. They are the equivalent to a top 40 radio station.

13. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

yeah i'm kind of with you on the gun stores around here. i like the staff at shooters and the range is great for what it is but i wish they had a better selection. marks seems over priced to me. target world seems to have the worst service.

i've been meaning to ask, where do you go around here to find cz's? i've been wanting to check one out but have never seen one in a shop.

14. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

have the studs mounted and the sling on now. got a scope monday but haven't gotten it installed yet. they didn't have the correct rings at the time.

I went with a little nicer one that i had originally though. it's a bsa catseye 3x10x44 or something like that. my thinking was that i could use it on a nicer rifle down the road if i wanted to. horrible idea?

15. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You could do a lot worse. For a nicer rifle, I'd spend a bit more on a scope though.

If you're just going to shoot the 10/22 off a bench, the BSA will probably be fine. If you're going to carry it around to shoot small game, I'd go with a light Leupold 2-7x or 4x.